-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Endangered Historic Buildings in Richmond
May 20, 2011

The East Bay Chapter of the American Institute of Architects will be recognizing Endangered Historic Places in the East Bay with a program and reception on Wednesday, May 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM, 1405 Clay Street in Oakland.

A number of buildings/locations in and around Richmond have been submitted for the Endangered Historic Places program. It's $14 for tickets and those include a wine & beer reception with lots of food. For more information, see http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=ornjnwn6&oeidk=a07e3tm0g1tce74ff09.  

The only Richmond project actually formally submitted was Winehaven / Point Molate, which Betsy Yost submitted.  Also in Contra Costa County are the Hercules Powder Company, Hercules and the Contra Costa Florist Building on San Pablo Avenue in El Cerrito.  One person also submitted a cross-county submittal called 'Neighborhood Grocery Stores' which includes corner grocery stores from several counties.

Betsy says she submitted Winehaven for a couple of reasons.  “It is a spectacular site, I wanted to do a little research about it, and I wanted to bring the issue in front of a more regional group of interested parties.” 

Part of the event on May 25 will include a 1.5 minute presentation on each submittal, with a PowerPoint show.  Betsy went on to say, “We encourage those who made the submittal to make the presentation, but in the case of Winehaven I'd be happy to let someone else do that if they are interested.  It is toward the beginning of the PowerPoint show, which will begin around 6 or 6:15, so I expect that the presenter will be finished by 6:30.  Can you think of anyone who might be interested?”

The Richmond Historic Resources Commission compiled a list of potential sites, but apparently they were not formally submitted. They include not only Point Molate but also:

• Riggers' Loft
  • Old Kaiser Hospital
  • Pullman Seaport Hotel (International Hotel?)
  • Bank at 6th & Macdonald
  • Milens' Building.

Endangered Historic Places Reception & Presentation_Page_2.jpg

RETURN