-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
FLASH - Linsday Hires DeVone Boggan as Neighborhood Safety Director

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 25, 2007

Contact: Bill Lindsay, (510) 620-6512

City Hires Neighborhood Safety Director

RICHMOND, Calif. – The City of Richmond has selected DeVone Boggan, a community organizer and nationally recognized expert in crime reduction, as its Neighborhood Safety Director. 

Mr. Boggan is currently the Policy Director for Oakland-based Safe Passages, which is part of a national initiative to improve local and regional government strategies to address youth violence. He has also worked as a consultant providing technical assistance and training for youth development organizations focusing on mentoring, after-school, youth offender and early childhood strategies.  His clients have included organizations at the federal, state, and local levels of government, and in the private, non-profit sector. 

“After evaluating a number of outstanding candidates for Richmond’s Neighborhood Safety Director, we concluded that DeVone Boggan was the individual that best meets the short-term and long-term needs of the City of Richmond,” said City Manager Bill Lindsay, who announced the decision today.

Lindsay pointed out that Boggan recently worked on the project team that developed a comprehensive strategy for reducing violence in the City of Richmond, and said Boggan has a “great deal of knowledge about the Richmond community that will allow him to hit the ground running in his new role.”

“I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the City of Richmond in this capacity and look forward to working with all the members of this community to make a meaningful difference in their lives,” Boggan said. “I have long been invested in this kind of work, and I intend to help build the foundation for this new Office of Neighborhood Safety’s enduring legacy.”

“DeVone is a recognized expert in best practices that have been utilized throughout the nation to reduce violent crime,” Lindsay said. “He has the ability to inspire confidence among other levels of government and private foundations that will assist in bringing needed resources into the community.”

He added: “DeVone is well suited to work effectively with other City departments that will play a role in implementing long-term strategies to reduce violent crime, and has a demonstrated ability to reach out to and work with members of the community.”

DeVone Boggan’s work with the City of Richmond will officially begin on October 23rd.

###

Mayor and Councilmembers:

This is to advise you that I have selected DeVone Boggan as the City of Richmond’s Neighborhood Safety Director.  Mr. Boggan is currently the Policy Director for Oakland-based Safe Passages, which is part of a national initiative to improve local and regional government strategies to address youth violence.  He has also worked as a consultant providing technical assistance and training for youth development organizations focusing on mentoring, after-school, youth offender and early childhood strategies.  His clients have included organizations at the federal, state, and local levels of government, and in the private, non-profit sector.  Of particular note, Mr. Boggan recently worked on the project team that developed a comprehensive strategy for reducing violence in the City of Richmond.

After evaluating a number of outstanding candidates for Richmond’s Neighborhood Safety Director, I concluded that DeVone Boggan was the individual that best meets the short-term and long-term needs of the City of Richmond.  In particular, Mr. Boggan:

• Is well-equipped to tap into and leverage City resources by working effectively with the many excellent service providers in the Richmond community that are attempting to address the root causes of violent crime;
  • Is a recognized expert in best practices that have been utilized throughout the nation to reduce violent crime;
  • Has the ability to inspire confidence among other levels of government and private foundations that will assist in bringing needed resources into the community;
  • Is well-suited to work effectively with other City departments that will play a role in implementing long-term strategies to reduce violent crime in the community;
  • Has a great deal of knowledge about the Richmond community that will allow him to “hit the ground running” in his new role; and
  • Has a demonstrated ability to reach out to and work with members of a community.

DeVone Boggan’s work with the City of Richmond will officially begin on October 23rd.

I know that there is tremendous interest in the establishment of the Richmond Office of Neighborhood Safety, and that we all feel the importance and urgency of it achieving success in helping us combat crime.  I also know that some of you, and others, have had strong feelings about who will serve as its Director.  The bottom line is we felt we needed someone who could best meet the short-term and long-term needs of the City – and who could ultimately work with everyone: the community, the police, other city agencies, the philanthropic world and, of course, you, the elected officials.

In sum, DeVone is a nationally recognized expert in best practices that have been used to reduce violent crime. He has spent considerable time and effort evaluating the challenges of our community and strategizing on solutions.  He has leadership and administrative experience. And he has a demonstrated capacity for managing the various stakeholders involved and marshalling resources to the task at hand.  Among all the candidates considered, DeVone is the one who comes to us heavy on experience and qualifications.  I’m hopeful we can count on your help to make this office, and his efforts, successful.

I have attached for your information a press release announcing this appointment and Mr. Boggan’s resume.  I am confident that you will come to value his abilities in helping to reduce violent crime in the Richmond community.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Bill Lindsay

City Manager

Bill Lindsay

City Manager

City of Richmond

1401 Marina Way South

Richmond, CA 94804

Phone:  510-620-6512

Fax:      510-620-6542

e-mail:   bill_lindsay@ci.richmond.ca.us