-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Swinerton Explains Unusual Convergence

The following is a response to How Many Swinerton Consultants Does it Take to ________?, July 28, 2007. I was under the impression that we were paying Veolia to do the same thing, but maybe I’m confused. I wonder how many of these workers are Richmond residents?

August 1, 2007

Mr. Bill Lindsay, City Manager

City of Richmond

1401 Marina Way South

Richmond, CA 94804

Subject:  Recent E-Forum from Councilman Tom Butt

Dear Mr. Lindsay

Tom Butt recently posted in his E-FORUM newsletter a reference to Swinerton Management & Consulting (SMC) with an accompanying photo.  There is an erroneous assertion by Mr. Butt that this photo represents inefficient management and waste on the part of SMC. In fact, the photo depicts the coincidental convergence of two separate SMC teams at work in the field. One SMC team was in the process of gathering and verifying flow data to update the sewer and storm drain layers to the City’s GIS (Geographic Information System).  This requires the opening of manholes and documenting the pipe configuration and flow-line data.  On this day they had already covered approximately 25 blocks of McBride Ave on foot when they arrived on this site.  The second SMC team was assembling to observe what repairs were being made to a mainline and anticipated completion.  The main line repair project was of interest to this SMC team as they needed to coordinate the return to work of another contractor who was working on a lateral from the main. 

The moment was captured in a photo taken by a member of the contractor’s crew conducting the mainline repair work and soon after the SMC teams disbanded and continued their respective activities. The duration of these two SMC teams assembling on site, including the photo taking, was approximately ten minutes.

Among those employees pictured is an intern who is working with SMC for the summer.  He is an engineering student from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, who was accompanying the GIS field teams to gain education and experience.  SMC does not charge the City for this individual but absorbs the cost as part of our commitment to developing young engineers.

We acknowledge that the casual observer may not understand what is depicted in the picture and are therefore happy to provide this clarification to preclude anyone from reaching an erroneous conclusion. 

As the Manager of the SMC Staff on our various assignments with the City, I wish to point out that each and every member of my team are exceptionally qualified in their respective fields and have provided the City with a level of service and production that the citizens deserve.  Any of the City’s Department Managers and Staff members that have worked with my team can attest to the positive contributions that have been made in a timely, accurate and efficient manner.

Sincerely,

Steve MacLennan, PE

Program Manager          

CC: Luke Argila, Chief Council, Swinerton, Inc.

Terry Bush, President, SMC

Janet Schneider, Administrative Chief

Mary Renfro, Asst. City Attorney