-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Invitation to Reception for New California Housing Secretary Lynn Jacobs

The following is forwarded from Councilman Jim Rogers, who arranged to have Director of the California Department of Housing and Community Development, Lynn Jacobs, visit Richmond after we met her at the Local Government Commission Yosemite Conference in March.

RECEPTION AND WELCOME TO RICHMOND FOR  LYNN JACOBS,  NEWLY APPOINTED  DIRECTOR, CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT  

On Tuesday, April 3, 2007, 5:30 PM, at the Harbor Master Building, 1340 Marina Way South, the City of Richmond will welcome Gov. Schwarzenegger's newly appointed Director of the California Department of Housing and Community Development, Lynn Jacobs.

As part of her aggressive outreach program to many different stakeholders concerned about developing solutions to California's affordable housing crisis, Ms. Jacobs, and Deputy Director Cathy Creswell, will meet with and informally network with, local stakeholders and interested people,  who are working to develop housing solutions.

Ms. Jacobs' background as an affordable housing developer doing difficult infill developments has put her in a unique position to develop innovative Smart Growth housing solutions. For instance, she is developing a pilot program to replace low density school facilities with high density Smart Growth buildings, including housing for teachers, and making the school playground usable for City recreation programs. In one fell swoop this creative approach responds to several vital needs: replacing dilapidated school facilities, providing after school and weekend recreation programs (made viable by the "eyes on the street" provided by the residential housing program), providing affordable housing for our chronically underpaid public school teachers (e.g. my Mom   :)     ) , and helping create a model of  compact  dense use by using land 24/7 , not just 9-3. 

I had the chance to meet Ms. Jacobs at the recent Local Government Commission Conference, and I am sure you will share my opinion that she has a lot of interesting ideas about how we can pursue innovative strategies to solve California's affordable housing crisis with Smart Growth, not Global Warming inducing suburban sprawl.

She considers it part of her job to get out of Sacramento, and  understand the unique needs of unique communities like Richmond in developing a plan to intelligently invest the huge bond moneys recently approved by California voters.

You're invited to help her do her job. 

Any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Councilmember Jim Rogers

RETURN