-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
City Council Takes up Collection to Pay CAER Membership
Those of you who have followed the recent Chevron Fire and Emergency Warning System debacle may have noticed various Chevron apologists waxing poetic about the Contra Costa County Community Awareness and Emergency Response (CAER), the organization responsible for telling you when to shelter in place. CAER is described as “… a non-profit public benefit corporation of public emergency response agencies, local government officials and facilities and businesses that use, store, handle, produce or transport hazardous materials.

I visited the CAER website and found out that even though five other Contra Costa County cities belong, the City of Richmond is not even a member. When I inquired about this at last night’s City Council meeting, it was explained that the City of Richmond had not paid its annual dues of $100 for the past two years.

Realizing the financial straits that Richmond has found itself in since Chevron cut its utility tax payments, I could see why the $100 would be tough to cough up. Not to mention that $10,000 membership fee Richmond paid to the Chamber of Commerce.

So, your City Council passed the hat up and down the dais, dug deep and raised that $100 so Richmond could once again be a proud member of the CAER.

RETURN