|Job Announcement for Richmond Main Street
December 15, 2006
The Richmond Main Street program, which is affiliated with the national Main Street initiative is one of the most important components in the revival of traditional historical downtown Richmond. The unfortunate and untimely death of former director Ramona Samuels has resulted in the following extraordinary job opportunity. Please circulate this to you contacts.
Richmond Main Street Initiative, Inc. (RMSI)
Richmond Main Street is the organization in Richmond, California, that is dedicated to the revitalization of downtown Richmond with a commitment to make downtown a vibrant, pedestrian-friendly urban village, offering products, services, arts, and entertainment that reflect the community’s rich and diverse heritage.
RMSI follows the Main Street approach to downtown revitalization that was developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, an approach that has been used successfully in hundreds of downtowns throughout the United States. The approach is comprehensive and community driven, and focuses on the following points: physical revitalization, business retention and attraction, cleanliness and safety, and promotion.
RMSI programs include business assistance, festivals, marketing campaigns, youth involvement programs, streetscape and façade improvements, and much more. RMSI’s programs involve volunteers from the merchant and resident community of downtown Richmond, as well as representatives from City government and the larger East Bay business community.
The RMSI Executive Director is responsible for coordinating, developing, and implementing current and future projects and programs within the Main Street boundaries of downtown Richmond. The Executive Director works closely with various public and private organizations to improve and maintain the vitality of the downtown area. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors of the RMSI.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Work with the Board, committees, and city agencies to prepare, implement, and monitor goals and work plans for RMSI;
· Devise marketing and promotional programs including special events to promote downtown Richmond;
· Gather data and analysis of downtown and maintain data systems to track changes;
· Provide assistance to existing and potential downtown businesses regarding physical improvements, financial resources, and other topics with the goal of attracting and retaining high quality businesses;
· Make presentations to various constituencies regarding downtown Richmond;
· Build strong and productive working relationships with public and private organizations at the local, state, and national level;
· Manage all administrative aspects of the organization including financial management, purchasing, record keeping, and hiring and supervising employees and consultants;
· Identify potential sources of funding for the organization and implement effective fund development strategies;
· Provide strategic vision and leadership to shape the ongoing development of RMSI;
· Perform targeted outreach to increase community participation and diversity in revitalization projects;
· Recruit and retain volunteers;
· Maintain and update building and business inventory database including merchant contacts and vacancies;
· Other responsibilities as required.
§ Bachelors’ degree or minimum of three years experience in economic development, business, or community development.
§ Experience with project management, group facilitation, public relations, public speaking, revitalization programs, and fund development.
§ Ability to interface with various ethnic and cultural groups.
§ Ability to recruit and manage employees, consultants, and volunteers.
§ Bilingual in Spanish/English a plus.
§ Able to prioritize tasks and maintain a sense of humor and positive attitude in a fast paced environment.
Salary & Benefits
§ Full-time exempt position, $60,000 starting salary
§ Vacation and partial medical benefits.
Send your resume and cover letter to RMSI, Inc. attention Jenny Kassan, 1000 Macdonald Ave., Suite C, Richmond, CA 94801; or email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax to 510-307-9909.