-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Council Members and Staff Clarify Positions at Two-Day City Council Retreat
February 1, 2004

The Richmond City Council and a number of department heads spent over 10 hours together January 30 and 31 focusing on the budget situation. The facilitated “retreat” at the Marina Bay Harbormaster Building was a noticed City Council meeting open to the public, but remarkably, only one non-city person showed up – Chip Johnson of the Chronicle for about an hour on Friday afternoon. Chip didn’t exactly get an earful, as the first hour and a half was devoted to the requisite “team building” touchie-feelie exercises familiar to those who have retreated. I will say, however, that our facilitator did a good job of managing an inherently unruly group and keeping us focused on the agenda.

The general feeling conveyed by staff is that the budget shortfall will likely get worse rather than better when the Second Quarter Review numbers come in on February 17. A large portion of the 10 hours was devoted to discussing short and long term strategies for reducing city operating costs and increasing revenue. Although there are myriad long-term opportunities, the short term prospects are severely limited, mostly involving additional layoffs.

There was also a very healthy discussion about communication – between the staff and the city council and between the city management and the public. I am optimistic that some improvements will result, but, in my opinion, serous problems remain.

The entire process was videotaped, and I understand the tapes are a public record.

Not having experienced enough politics, I moved on after 2:00 PM to the Richmond Progressive Alliance Public Forum at the Richmond Main Library, where I found the Madeline F. Whittlesey Room packed and spilling out onto the patio with a sprited crowd determined to overthrow the current regime. Matt Gonzales, Green Party member and President of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors was, in fact, present. Candidates and speakers covered a wide variety of issues including the environment, Wal-Mart, the city's budget crisis and priorities and even foriegn policy.

RETURN