Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2022  
  < RETURN  
  The End of the Road
December 21, 2022

Last night was my last Richmond City Council meeting ever, termed out after over 27 years and some 1,300 City Council meetings, not including committee and other meetings, and not including regional board and committee meetings. If you added all of them in, it would be in the thousands.

The End of the Road
Figure 1 - Tom and Shirley celebrating with champagne

I am still mayor of Richmond, however, until January 10, 2023, when a new mayor will be sworn in. I leave with satisfaction that I have given it my best, and I know Richmond is a better place. See  What will you Do Now, and Mayor’s Accomplishments and Regrets, November 5, 2022.

It was not too soon. I’m not sure I could have endured another meeting. See The RPA’s Personal and Vitriolic Attacks, December 17, 2022.

Last night was another marathon City Council meeting, beginning unusually early at 2:00 PM and ending about 9:30 PM, nearly 8 hours of excruciating tedium that could have been done in half that time or less if we had a better city attorney and better prepared City Council members who consume hours asking endless dumb questions.

For those of you who have supported me over the years, it has meant everything to me, and I think you so much. For those who have tormented me, especially over the last two years, you are the ones who have to live with your karma. I’m outta here.

< RETURN