Applications are being accepted for innkeepers at East Brother Lighthouse. After two years of extraordinary service, our current keepers, Stephanie and Bryan Wesolek will be leaving at the end of March 2023. East Brother Light Station, Inc., a non-profit corporation, is seeking applicants for Keepers of East Brother Light Station, an island in San Francisco Bay that is the home of an intact 1874 lighthouse and fog signal.
Keepers Search FAQs
Who Should Apply
The successful candidates will be a couple, one of whom must possess a Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential NMC boat operator’s license. They will operate the five-room inn, serving both dinner and breakfast, as well as providing ferry service for guests and all other tasks from chef to the maid.
High-quality culinary experience and capability are critical qualifications.
Start Date and Compensation
The inn is open four days a week, and the island is also available for day use and special events. The new keepers will start April 2023 allowing two weeks for training.
Compensation is a function of the level of business, occupancy level, and the economy. In the last two years, it has averaged $140,000, trending upward, for the couple. Compensation includes a health plan and living quarters on the island.
East Brother has consistently earned five star ratings from Yelp and TripAdvisor. We have also been featured in the news:
How to Apply
Applicants should use this online form to apply.
Completed application will require proof of Coast Guard license. If you do not have a current Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential NMC boat operator’s license, please do not apply.
Please, NO PHONE CALLS from potential applicants! Email questions to EastBrotherLightStationJOBS@gmail.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Can you provide a detailed Job Description?
The Lighthouse Keepers are a "couple" who, as employees of the organization, manage and run the bed and breakfast inn and day use programs at East Brother Island. The five-room inn is currently open four evenings a week, Thursday through Sunday, and the island is available for day use visitors on summer weekends. Duties include boat transportation, tours, dinner and breakfast preparation and serving, and cleaning. Assistance with island maintenance is by a volunteer group. A copy of the Personnel Manual is available on request.
- Define what you mean by "couple?"
We use the word "couple" loosely, because the job requires two persons who must live and work together in close quarters. They do not necessarily have to be a married couple.
- What are the minimum Qualifications?
One of the individuals must possess a valid U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential NMC operator’s license for a boat carrying at least six passengers. If you do not have this, please do not waste your time and ours by applying. Keepers must have culinary experience or abilities, must be warm and presentable to the public, and must be enthusiastic and self-motivated. Children are incompatible with this job, as are pets. Smoking is not permitted. Previous food service or hotel type experience may be helpful but is not required.
- How can I get a Coast Guard License?
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A CURRENT LICENSE OR HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT LICENSING, YOU ARE HIGHLY UNLIKELY TO BE A QUALIFIED CANDIDATE FOR THE KEEPER'S POSITION WITHIN THE TIME FRAME WE NEED TO HIRE.
Compensation is a function of the level of business. Essentially, 40% of the gross is taken by the non-profit corporation for maintenance and capital improvements. The remaining 60% goes to the Keepers after subtracting the expenses of operation, principally food, beverage, gasoline, etc. In 2021-22, the Keepers’ gross pay was about $140,000 annually, trending upward, for the couple, plus about $10,000 in health insurance. Typically, keepers take 2-4 weeks of vacation. Modest housing is available on the island, but some keepers in the past have elected to live off the island during days off. We prefer the keepers live on the island full time.
The job is incompatible with children, and pets are strongly discouraged, especially dogs.
- Why would we want this job?
Incomparable views; meet a lot of interesting people; one of California's best-known bed and breakfast inns; hard work but pretty good pay for a young couple (or couple of any age) doing something unique; birds, marine mammals, fresh air, boats; and history. East Brother is a registered California Historic Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.