Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2021  
  < RETURN  
  Marin Water Pipeline Update
October 20, 2021

I will not be at the CCTA meeting tonight; I have a conflict, and my alternate Paul Fadelli will represent WCCTAC in my place. Item 4 on the Agenda is “Presentation on Richmond-San Rafael Bridge - Representatives from the Transportation Authority of Marin, California Department of Transportation, Bay Area Toll Authority, and Marin Municipal Water District will provide a presentation on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge Westbound Vehicle Shoulder Use Study and Future Plans.”

Click on the following for the presentation decks.

Even though the CCTA meeting is not an action item and only a presentation, I urge you to call or Zoom in and comment.

Instructions on calling in or joining he meeting via Zoom are at https://ccta.primegov.com/Portal/Meeting?compiledMeetingDocumentFileId=13144. It would be helpful if you call or Zoom in to express concerns about the Marin Pipeline.

Several people from Richmond attended the MMWD meeting last night and provided the following accounts:

• The pipeline adds only 8% of projected annual MMWD water use
  • Currently only 40% of the 8% water supply is secured on paper
  • The General manager Mr Hornmann is key figure attempting to ram through the proposals without proper EIR and finalized pump station plans
  • The board chair, Mrs Koehler spoke about providing incentives for Richmond and being the best neighbor possible. She admitted that she was running her sprinkler system last night during the rainstorm.
  • The MMWD treasurer initially proposed $250.- fines for refilling pools build after 2021, $25 fines for running sprinkler after December 1, 2021 and unlimited use of garden hose. They refused to institute immediate water reduction fines because southern Marin landscaping would suffer too much!
  • They admitted that they hadn’t reached out to East Bay stakeholders, without explaining why.
  • President Koehler's remarked at the end of the Public Comment period that she apologized and took responsibility for the lack of outreach to Point Richmond neighbors and businesses. She wanted the MMWD to make that right and requested contact information. 

Some talking points you can use include:

• Marin is not serious about the drought. They are still watering lawns and filling swimming pools and will be until at least December. After the 1977 drought, they were warned to plan for the next one, but they did nothing.
  • This does not meet the test for an emergency project. It is a permanent project designed to augment MMWD’s water supply. There must be a full EIR.
  • If the project proceeds, MMWD must commit to no shutdowns of the San Rafael Bridge Trail and the Bay Trail during construction.
  • MMWD must commit that the pipeline won’t be put in or on the Bay Trail between Castro Street and the RSR Bridge, which would eliminate the pump station in vicinity of Castro & Tewksbury. Any new pump station must be sound-isolated from residential areas.
  • The City of Richmond and its residents must be compensated for the inconvenience of the proposed street excavations for new pipelines.
  • Construction will construct traffic on at least the lower deck of the RSRB and probably on the upper deck. How will this be mitigated?
  < RETURN