Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2019  
  < RETURN  
  East Brother Lighthouse Keepers on the Today Show
March 12, 2019

Here is a link to this morning’s segment: https://www.today.com/video/on-the-job-with-keepers-of-a-lighthouse-bed-and-breakfast-1456429635808

Also, from SFGATE:

Stop emailing! That 'dream job' as the East Brother Lighthouse innkeepers is filled

By Bill Disbrow
Updated 8:35 am PDT, Monday, March 11, 2019
In 1980, a group of preservationists won permission to renovate the lighthouse and take over its maintenance. The inn now pays for the upkeep of the lighthouse and other structures.  Photo: Annie Vainshtein/SFGATE
Photo: Annie Vainshtein/SFGATE

In 1980, a group of preservationists won permission to renovate the lighthouse and take over its maintenance. The inn now pays for the upkeep of the lighthouse and other structures. 

"I have had thousands of inquires or applications from dozens of countries, many in languages I can't even read," says Richmond Mayor Tom Butt, who ran the search for new caretakers of the East Brother Light Station, an historic lighthouse turned bed and breakfast that sits on a tiny island in the San Francisco Bay, just north of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

The gig, which consists of doing just about anything and everything at an 1874 island outpost, came with free housing and food on the island and the opportunity to pull in around $130,000 annually for an industrious couple. Applicants were warned that they would need to do whatever it takes to keep the bed and breakfast running, including preparing the meals and ferrying the guests to the inn, being a tour guide, nature guide, chef, waiter, butler, concierge, and gardener.

"It's an incredible piece of history, and a beautiful location. It's hard to put in words, but it's a very special place, and we already feel a strong connection."

After mayor Mayor Butt tipped off SFGATE to the job opening in January, news traveled well beyond the 0.7 acre island. Thousands of miles.

"Last time we did this, two years ago, we had only seven qualified applicants," said Mayor Butt. "This time we had about 55 qualified applicants (which means a U.S. Coast Guard license and relevant experience). I also had literally thousands of inquiries and even completed applications from all over the world, but none had the required USCG license."

As the original SFGATE author of that story, even my inbox received dispatches from Italy, Russia, Belarus and a handful of other countries from job seekers. But inquiries from internet cafes across the globe should slow down now. The jobs have been filled.

"This is a dream job for us, and I think our enthusiasm and excitement really showed," Tyler Waterson explained when asked how he and Tiffany Danse beat out the other applicants. "It's an incredible piece of history, and a beautiful location. It's hard to put in words, but it's a very special place, and we already feel a strong connection. We're very proud that we have been given the opportunity to care for the space and help preserve the lighthouse."

Tyler Waterson and Tiffany Danse beat out dozens of other qualified applicants hoping to run the inn. Photo: Tyler Waterson
Photo: Tyler Waterson

Tyler Waterson and Tiffany Danse beat out dozens of other qualified applicants hoping to run the inn.

Waterson said they're not too nervous about the isolation. The couple has been living on a 32-foot sailboat for more than three years. They suspect that a diversity of their skills put them over the top for the job.

"Tiffany has worked in retail, several different jobs in hospitality in both Maine and the Caribbean, and most recently as an occupational therapist. I have worked in marine biology research, as a naturalist, a mechanic, charter boat Captain and crew, kayak guide, and as a commercial fisherman. The position requires you to wear many hats, and we showed that we are able to do so," Waterson explained over email.

The couple will now be compensated based on how much the inn earns with a portion split between them and the rest going to the upkeep of the lighthouse and other island structures.

The couple takes over full time operation of the inn on May 1st. Those wishing to experience their hospitality firsthand can book reservations on the EBLS website.

< RETURN