Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2019  
  < RETURN  
  Richmond Program Wins Helen Putman Award
October 19, 2019

I just finished three days at the League of California Cities Annual Conference in Long Beach. The high point was representing the City to receive a Helen Putnam Award for Excellence for “Camp Achieve.” I was joined by Troy Porter of the Recreation Division.

“Camp Achieve: To combat summer learning loss, the City of Richmond Community Services Department (Recreation Division) in partnership with the Ed Fund, WCCUSD, and local nonprofit enrichment organizations, provide high quality summer programs by bringing together academics, enrichment, and recreation in a new way for 300 children between 6 and 12. The programs are offered free of charge at four community centers.”

Vice-mayor Ben Choi and Assistant City Attorney Bruce Soublet also attended. I ran into Bill Lindsay who is part of a consulting team with a booth in the Exhibit Hall.

Lots of interesting programs and presentations, including homelessness, housing, cannabis regulation and transportation.

I really enjoyed staying on the Queen Mary again.

Figure 1 - Helen Putnam Award Winners

Figure 2 - With Bill Lindsay, now consulting for RPPG and Orinda City Council member Amy Worth

Figure 3 - Troy Porter of the Recreation Division showcasing Richmond

Figure 4 - Bunch of mayors at Republic Services reception

Figure 5 - Troy Porter and Tom Butt

< RETURN