Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2018  
  < RETURN  
  Reinstatement of Police Captain Mark Gagan Following Appeal of Disciplinary Action
May 4, 2018

The following was sent today from City Manager Bill Lindsay.

By way of background, Gagan was fired by Richmond Police Chief Allwyn Brown back in January 2018 for allegedly lying during a Police Department Internal Affairs investigation stemming from a complaint by City Council member Eduardo Martinez. For details, see:

Mayor and Members of the City Council:

This is to advise you that, following a hearing on April 6, 2018 with Police Captain Mark Gagan, his attorney, and Police management and Human Resources staff members, and following my independent review of the administrative record, I have upheld Captain Gagan’s grievance. In sum, I found there was insufficient evidence to support the charges that gave rise to the disciplinary action against him. Mark Gagan will be reinstated to his former position of Police Captain as soon as reasonably possible.

As this is a confidential personnel matter, I cannot discuss the details of the investigation. However, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or require any additional information that I may be able to disclose.

Bill Lindsay
City Manager

Bill Lindsay
City Manager
City of Richmond, California
510-620-6512
Bill_lindsay@ci.richmond.ca.us

< RETURN