Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2018  
  < RETURN  
  City Manager's Weekly Report for the Week Ending March 9, 2018
March 12, 2018

Mayor and Members of the City Council:

This is the report for the week ending March 9, 2018.

• Meeting Notes

The next City Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 20th.  Enjoy the next week off!

• City Manager Transition

As discussed at last Tuesday’s City Council meeting, I am planning to resign as City Manager of the City of Richmond as of July 31, 2018.  This was an extremely difficult decision, as the work in Richmond continues to be both challenging and rewarding, and, as I know you all agree, the City seems poised to turn its great potential into brilliant reality in the very near future.  Helping to achieve this reality will, however, be the responsibility of my successor in this position, as I now focus on a different phase in my life.

During the next five months, there are many tasks that I still need to undertake, not the least of which is helping to complete the City’s fiscal year 2018-19 budget, and seeing that the current fiscal year ends with a strong balance sheet that will serve as the foundation for a strong financial future.

And while I have all of five months to thank those who have assisted me in my work in Richmond, I will start by acknowledging my wife, Meg, and my family for all of their support, and for tolerating the long work hours that took me outside my home far more than any of us would have liked.

I will also offer these limited thoughts and observations in this note, with more to come over the next few months:

·         I am very grateful to the City Council that hired me to manage the City of Richmond in 2005, taking a chance on one whose experience in very different communities did not assure success in his new endeavor.  Only Mayor Butt remains as a member of the City Council from this original group of nine councilmembers, and I hope that I have validated his part in my initial selection.

·         I thank the individuals that joined the City Council over the years and worked with me, and, in particular, this current City Council.  I believe that this group, because of their significant overlapping interests and values, has more potential to work together to achieve their shared community goals than any other with which I have worked in Richmond.

·         I am extremely grateful to a very welcoming Richmond community, which has been incredibly supportive as I have spent thirteen years continuing to do my very best, but still, to this day, learning on the job.  The unwavering belief in the future of Richmond by its residents is truly inspiring.

·         I appreciate the expertise, dedication, and collegiality of the City‘s management team from whom I have received so much assistance.

·         I will miss each day working with the staff members in the City Manager’s office, who have provided consummate professional support to me and to the broader Richmond community in an always engaging and motivating manner.

·         I appreciate the many City of Richmond employees who work so hard to provide quality services to residents of this community.

I look forward to working with all of you as I conclude my work in Richmond, and as you transition to your next city manager.

• Sitio Web de la Ciudad de Richmond Ofrece Opción de Traducción

La Ciudad de Richmond tiene un botón de "Traducir " en su página web principal bajo "SITE TOOLS" (mire la ilustración debajo del párrafo). El botón "Translate Page" se encuentra dentro de la página principal. Individuos pueden traducir la página a otros idiomas; también pueden traducir documentos, incluyendo los programas del Ayuntamiento en un idioma preferido.

• Sisters in Solidarity International Women's Day Celebration – TOMORROW, Saturday, March 10th

2018 Sisters in Solidarity Draft Poster v5 with speakers

The City of Richmond is sponsoring the Sisters in Solidarity 11th Annual Women’s Day Celebration at the Richmond Auditorium TOMORROW, Saturday, March 10th from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM. 

The Planning Committee is proud to announce that Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton will be the keynote speaker along with Councilmember Ada Recinos. The topics will include empowering women through leadership and women in politics. The event will be emceed by Councilmember Jovanka Beckles. The theme is PressForProgress with a focus on the MeToo movement.

This year, the program will include a preconference activity for those who would like a low impact physical activity. Qigong will be offered from 9:40 AM to 10:00 AM. Qigong is a Chinese system of physical exercises and breathing control related to Tai Chi.

Back by popular demand, the event will include table visits to exchange information and gain knowledge on the services and resources available through the various local organizations that will be in attendance.

Please come out and help us celebrate and empower women during Women’s History Month. This is a free family event open to all members of the community. There will be a graphic artist sketching the event, fun activities, lunch, and entertainment: comedian, spoken word artist, and a vocalist.

Please help spread the word. We look forward to celebrating International Women’s Day with you!

#PressForProgress

• Women’s History Month: Recognizing America’s Women Firefighters

A rendering of Molly Williams, recognized as the first female firefighter in the United States.She was also a slave.Molly Williams; Firefight
Artist depiction of Molly Williams pulling the pumper wagon through the snow, and Ms. Molly Williams outfitted in her fire department uniform, circa 1818.

Ms. Molly Williams is credited as being America’s first woman firefighter, circa 1818. A former slave, Molly worked at Oceanus Fire Company # 11, in the Fire Department of the City of New York. Molly was a cook and performed tasks around the fire station. One day during the blizzard of 1818, Molly could hear the sounds of runners rattling their clacker and ringing their bells to alert everyone to a fire. Molly, knowing many of the firefighters could not respond because they were sick from the influenza outbreak, grabbed hold of the ropes used to drag the pumper wagon, and made her way through the snow filled streets to the fire’s location. Molly took her place alongside the men fighting the fire. From this point forward, Molly was known as a regular member of the Oceanus Fire Company #11.

The Richmond Fire Department welcomed its first woman firefighter in 1983. Ms. Laura Barnaby joined the fire department in November 1983 and rose to the rank of Fire Captain before her retirement in September 2011. Throughout her career, Captain Barnaby established herself as a steadfast and competent leader.

Today, the Richmond Fire Department has women serving in various capacities and ranks (Firefighter, Engineer, Captain, and Deputy Fire Marshal). Women have continued to make great contribution to the City of Richmond and its Fire Department.

• City Manager Chronicles

I have listed below some of the topics for meetings that I attended during the past week in the hope that it provides an idea of the varied issues with which our organization deals routinely.

Meetings and events of note during the past week included:

• Attended a meeting with representatives of the Santa Fe Neighborhood Council, along with staff members from the Police, Engineering, and Planning Departments, and Code Enforcement Division, to discuss neighborhood issues of interest and concern;
  • Participated in a telephone conference with US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) staff representatives, along with Finance Director Belinda Warner, Deputy City Attorney Carlos Privat, and Housing Authority consultant Tia Ingram, to review improvement activities for the Richmond Housing Authority;
  • Attended the Mayor’s Business Roundtable event held at Mechanics Bank, Hilltop;
  • Met, along with the other four West Contra Costa city managers, with West Contra Costa Unified School District (WCCUSD) Superintendent Matt Duffy to discuss issues of mutual interest;
  • Attended my monthly check-in meeting with the Chevron Richmond Refinery manager;
  • Met (via phone), along with Development Project Manager Craig Murray, with geotechnical consultant Kyle Flory to discuss the status of soil remediation monitoring in the Marina Bay area;
  • Attended the monthly Contra Costa Public Managers Association meeting;
  • Attended the monthly Southeast Shoreline Community Advisory Group meeting;
  • Met (via phone), along with Transportation Project Manager Lori Reese-Brown, with a representative of Lyft to discuss bringing on-demand, paratransit ride service to Richmond.

These meetings were in addition to attending the regular management staff meeting, agenda planning, reviewing staff reports to the City Council, doing department head “check-ins,” having discussions on various personnel matters, and having short discussions with staff, community members, members of the press, etc.

• Free Home Solar Systems Available for Qualifying Richmond Residents!

Richmond homeowners can qualify for a FREE home solar system funded by the City of Richmond and State of California. To be eligible, Richmond and North Richmond residents must meet the following program requirements:

• Own and live in a home in Richmond or North Richmond
  • Have a monthly electric bill above $30
  • Have household income that is the same or less than 80% of area median income (income limits are included in the flyer below and at www.richmondenvironment.org).

For more information, please contact GRID Alternatives at (510) 731-1333 or visit http://www.gridsolar.org/richmond.

flyers for website

• Rent Program Eviction 101 in Richmond Community Workshops

As part of its continuing outreach to landlords and tenants who would like to learn more about Rent Program rules and regulations, the City of Richmond Rent Program is offering the following workshops:

Eviction 101 in Richmond (Landlord Focused)
Saturday, March 17th
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
City Council Chambers
440 Civic Center Plaza
Richmond, CA 94804

Eviction 101 in Richmond (Tenant Focused)
Saturday, April 21st
10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
City Council Chambers
440 Civic Center Plaza
Richmond, CA 94804

Topics for discussion include:

·      “Just Cause” for eviction and relocation requirements;
·      Termination of tenancy notice requirements; and

• Unlawful detainer (eviction) process.

Space is limited - RSVP today: https://rentprogram.eventbrite.com

• Richmond Main Street Annual Stakeholder Meeting

Join your neighbors for the regularly scheduled Iron Triangle Neighborhood Council meeting, followed by Richmond Main Street's Annual Stakeholder Meeting on Thursday, March 15th from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at the Nevin Community Center (598 Nevin Avenue). Discussion will feature Richmond Main Street’s 2017 Annual Report, 2018 Work Plan, and Downtown Development Updates & Listening Session.

The meeting is co-hosted by Richmond Main Street and the Iron Triangle Neighborhood Council.

All Downtown Richmond & Community Stakeholders are welcome. RSVP online at: https://goo.gl/forms/ii5zK6sppVvXHdHF2 or by calling (510) 236-4049.

For more information: Call (510) 236-4049 or email admin@richmondmainstreet.org.

• 2018 Historic Preservation Awards

D3S_8487a

The City of Richmond and the Richmond Historic Preservation Commission invites nominations for the 2018 Richmond Historic Preservation Awards. The purpose of the Historic Preservation Awards program is to increase public awareness of Richmond’s heritage by recognizing individuals, organizations, businesses, and agencies whose contributions demonstrate outstanding commitment to excellence in historic preservation, local history or promotion of the heritage of the City. Awards will be presented in May during National Preservation Month. In addition to public and private buildings and structures, historic preservation projects may include media, publications, presentations and exhibits, parks, burial grounds, public art, oral history, theater productions, events and video presentations.

Eligibility: Any individual, group, organization or agency involved in historic preservation or promoting Richmond’s heritage is eligible to receive a Richmond Historic Preservation Award. The preservation project or activity (or a substantial portion of a large-scale multiple activity project) must have been completed no later than December 31, 2017.

Nomination Form: You may nominate an eligible preservation project or activity by submitting a completed 2018 Historic Preservation Awards Nomination Form to the Richmond Planning and Building Services Department. Additional details about eligibility, evaluation criteria used, and submittal requirements are found in the nomination form which can be downloaded at www.ci.richmond.ca.us/preservationaward or you can pick up a nomination form from the Planning and Building Services Department located in the City Hall Building, 450 Civic Center Plaza, 2nd floor, Richmond, CA.

Nominations are due by 5:00 PM on March 30, 2018. Feel free to call Soco Montore at (510) 620-6705 with any questions.

• Passengers Needed for Route 72, 72R & 72M Focus Group

The Alameda County Transportation Commission (ACTC) is looking for thirty Route 72, 72R and/or 72M passengers to participate in one of two 90-minute focus groups where participants will discuss the kind of improvements they would like to see on San Pablo Avenue to make taking the bus safer and more reliable and convenient.

Those selected to participate will receive a $100 Clipper card.

One meeting will be for passengers who board in the cities of San Pablo, Richmond or El Cerrito; the other is for those who catch the bus in Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville or Oakland.  Both meetings will be accessible by the Route 72, 72R and/or 72M. 
ACTC is interested in talking with passengers from all cultures, but please be advised that the focus groups will be held in English.  

Ø  Alameda County meeting: Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 6:00-7:30 PM at a location served by the Route 72 & 72M (and 2 blocks from a 72R stop)
Ø  Contra Costa County meeting: Thursday, April 12, 2018, 6:30-8:00 PM at a location served by the Route 72, 72M & 72R

These meetings are part of the San Pablo Avenue Corridor Project, an effort to develop long term and short-term concepts aimed at improving the safety and experience of all San Pablo Avenue users, from the City of San Pablo to Oakland.  The feedback from these focus groups will help ensure that the project considers the needs of AC Transit passengers.

To ensure a diverse group of riders participating in the focus groups, the Commission is using a brief survey to help in selecting the 30 passengers who will participate, and will receive a $100 Clipper card.  If you routinely ride the Route 72, 72R or 72M and are available the date and time of the applicable focus group, please take the survey at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/sanpabloave_focusgroup.

For more information on the project, please visit: https://www.alamedactc.org/files/managed/Document/21168/1475000_SanPabloAve_Multimodal_Corridor.pdf.

Pasajeros de las Rutas 72, 72R y 72M

¡Pueden ganar $100 ayudando a diseñar las futuras mejoras en San Pablo Avenue!

Se necesitan treinta pasajeros de las rutas 72, 72R y/o 72M para participar en uno de los dos grupos de enfoque de 1.5 horas para que la Comisión de Transporte de Alameda County pueda saber que mejoras querría usted ver en San Pablo Avenue para hacer que subir al autobús sea más seguro, fiable y conveniente. 

Aquellos que sean seleccionados para participar recibirán una tarjeta Clipper de $100.

Una reunión será para pasajeros que se suben al autobús en las ciudades de San Pablo, Richmond o El Cerrito; la otra reunión para aquellos que se suben al autobús en Albany, Berkeley, Emeryville u Oakland.  Ambas reuniones serán accesibles tomando la ruta 72, 72R y/o 72M. 

Ø  Reunión de Alameda County: Martes 27 de marzo de 2018, 6:00-7:30 PM en una ubicación que recibe servicio de la ruta 72 y 72M (y a 2 cuadras de una parada de 72R)
Ø  Reunión de Contra Costa County: Jueves 12 de abril de 2018, 6:30-8:00 PM en una ubicación que recibe servicio de la ruta 72, 72M y 72R

Estas reuniones son parte del Proyecto del Corredor de San Pablo Avenue, un esfuerzo para desarrollar conceptos a corto y largo plazo que se enfocan en mejorar la seguridad y la experiencia de todos los usuarios de San Pablo Avenue, desde la Ciudad de San Pablo a Oakland.  Las opiniones que oigamos en estos grupos de enfoque nos ayudarán a asegurar que el proyecto tiene en consideración las necesidades de los pasajeros de AC Transit.

Para asegurarnos de que oímos opiniones de un grupo diverso de viajeros, estamos usando una BREVE ENCUESTA para ayudarnos a seleccionar los 30 pasajeros que van a participar y recibir la tarjeta Clipper de $100.  Si usted viaja en la ruta 72, 72R o 72M y está disponible para la fecha y hora del grupo de enfoque que aplique, por favor rellenar la encuestan en: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/sanpabloave_focusgroup. Estamos interesados en hablar con pasajeros de todas las culturas, pero tenga en cuenta que los grupos de enfoque se celebrarán en inglés. 

Para más información acerca del proyecto, por favor visite: https://www.alamedactc.org/files/managed/Document/21168/1475000_SanPabloAve_Multimodal_Corridor.

• I-80 Central Avenue Operations Improvement Project (I-80 and Central Avenue)

Ghilotti Brothers worked to install the protective barrier platform on the south side of Central Avenue at the 580 westbound off-ramp.

Next week, Ghilotti Brothers will demolish the barrier rail on the south side of Central Ave at the 580 westbound off-ramp and begin installation of the protective platform on the North side of the same location.  Mike Brown Electric will be drilling to install the signal pole foundation on the northwest corner of Central Avenue and Rydin Road.

Visit the project webpage for more information: www.ccta.net/projects/project/36

Questions: Call Community Outreach Representative Jacqueline Majors at (510) 882-1603; or email: I80CentralAve@gmail.com.  

• ECIA Grant Program Applications are DUE on Friday, March 16th by 5:00 PM for Fiscal Year 2018/19

In 2014, the Richmond City Council approved the Chevron Environmental and Community Investment Agreement (ECIA), which invests $90 million dollars into the Richmond community over 10-years. $6 million of those dollars have been set aside for a competitive grant program, designed for non-profits who serve Richmond in the areas of community, youth, and youth sports. The ECIA has grant awards that range from $2,500, up to $50,000.

The deadline to submit your application is this upcoming Friday, March 16th by 5:00 PM in the City Manager’s Office. To access the ECIA Grant Application, Guidelines, and more check out the ECIA Grants webpage: www.ci.richmond.ca.us/eciagrants

Do you need access to a computer to complete your FY 18-19 ECIA Grant Application?  No worries!  The computer lab at 450 Civic Center Plaza will be available, by reservation only, on the following dates.Please e-mail: eciagrants@ci.richmond.ca.us to make a reservation

• Wednesday, March 14th from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM; and 
  • Thursday, March 15th from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM

The City of Richmond, in collaboration with Richmond Community Foundation, hosted a grant writing and ECIA grant information workshop on February 27th. The recorded workshop is available by visiting the ECIA Grants Capacity Building webpage: http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/3553/Capacity-Building. Please visit the link to get insights into the guidelines and application, and to learn helpful grant writing tips.

For more information, please contact us at: eciagrants@ci.richmond.ca.us or (510) 620-6512.

• S.A.T Preparation Workshop

Richmond Public Library Teens is offering a six-week S.A.T. Preparation Workshop where students will receive a pre-test, four weeks of live instruction from certified instructors, and a post-test. The workshop will be held March 17th – April 28th and is opened to students who live in Richmond, and a limited number of students who attend schools in West Contra Costa County.  Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.  Registration forms are available at the Richmond Public Library and high school counselor/career offices. 

For complete details, go to www.richmondlibrary.org or contact Angela Cox at (510) 620-5516.  This program is sponsored by The Friends of the Richmond Public Library in collaboration with the Ed Fund.

• Apply for Your U.S. Passport at Richmond City Hall!

The City of Richmond City Clerk’s Office is accepting passport applications on behalf of the United States Department of State.  United States citizens planning international travel may apply for their passport at 450 Civic Center Plaza, Suite 300, during the following hours by appointment only:

Monday: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Wednesday: 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Friday:  10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
(Closed 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM – days of operation only)

Please recognize that the area is an operational executive office, and a quiet zone.  No drop in service for same day appointments or scheduling future appointments is available at this time; you must call (510) 620-6786 to schedule all appointments. 

For application forms, information on documentation required, fees, and a wealth of other passport and international travel information, visit the only official website for passport information – travel.state.gov.

For more information about the City of Richmond Passport Acceptance Facility, please visit http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/passports.

Passport Information Flyer 8.5 x 11 - At City Hall

• Community Services Highlights

Upcoming Events and Program Activities:

Words on Wheels

20180302_101905

On Friday, March 2, 2018, the Richmond Library’s Words on Wheels program—the city’s mobile book library—made its first stop at the Richmond Annex Senior Center to much delight. Anyone interested in borrowing books, CDs, and other materials can check out items through the mobile library like a regular library. All folks need is a library card. Library staff brought all the books inside the center, so mobility was not an issue.

The program will be back at the Annex on March 30th from 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM. Come by and check it out! We look forward to seeing you!

For more information, contact the Richmond Annex Senior Center at (510) 620-6812

Senior Forum

Learn about proposals to cut and privatize social security, medicare, Medicaid, and other programs that serve the senior community.  This is a free workshop sponsored by the Richmond Commission on Aging and the Contra Costa/Solano CARA CAT. The workshop will be held at the Richmond Auditorium on April 17th from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM.  Light Refreshments will be served and the event is FREE! RSVP to (510) 663-4086 or ksmith.cara@gmail.com.

ServiceWorks Bootcamp - Save the Date – APRIL 7th

Do you know any young adults from the ages of 16-24 interested in becoming a leader? Are you interested in helping out your community? Would you like to host a workshop or mentor a young adult on their pathway to SUCCESS?

ServiceWorks Richmond is hosting a bootcamp to celebrate National Volunteer Week on Saturday, April 7th from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Our bootcamp is an energetic, one-day experience, giving participants (16-24) an introduction to how service can be a pathway to college and career. We want to inspire YOU to become agents for change in your own communities, all for FREE! RSVP today!

ServiceWorks Boot Camps are productive, fun and inspiring events--so register today and invite your peers to spread the word!

FREE breakfast and lunch, FREE swag bags, and a chance to win FREE door prizes.

Scholar Participant Sign-Up (16-24 only): https://swrichmondbootcamp2018.eventbrite.com

Volunteer Sign-Up for General Volunteer, Workshop Facilitators, or Panel Hosts (18+): https://tinyurl.com/swbootcampvolunteers18

Please contact Vanessa Chau at (510) 620-6552 or email Vanessa_Chau@ci.richmond.ca.us for more information.

Family Chess Night – Weekly!

Job and Volunteer Opportunities

Richmond Tool Library Part-Time Position

The Richmond Tool Library is hiring!
The Community Services Department is seeking a part-time individual to assist with staffing hours, looking over tool inventory, social media, organization, simple bookkeeping, and a few other tasks. Please see the description attached for a sample of duties and responsibilities. Tool experience is not necessary but is a plus.

Anyone interested should apply to the City of Richmond's Office Clerk/ Cashier position: tinyurl.com/richmondcaofficeclerk

Please email your resume to toollibrary@ci.richmond.ca.us once your application is submitted so we can look for your application. Apply by March 16th.
Info: (510) 620-6553

Job Opportunity for North Richmond Residents

The Community Services Department is hiring two North Richmond Youth Resident Leaders (age 16-24) and two North Richmond Resident Leaders (age 25+) who are passionate about beautifying the community! Resident Leaders will help plan five volunteer community beautification projects in North Richmond. They will also engage in door-to-door canvassing to distribute information about beautification and recruit participants for projects. These positions are only open to North Richmond residents and are jointly funded by Contra Costa County and City of Richmond.

To apply, visit: http://tinyurl.com/NRleaders or pick up an application at Shields-Reid Community Center.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11:59 PM ON MARCH 11th
CONTRACT PERIOD: MARCH 19 - JUNE 31, 2018
COMPENSATION: STIPEND TO BE PAID UPON COMPLETION OF RESPONSIBILITIES, AT END OF CONTRACT PERIOD

For more information, e-mail stephanie_ny@ci.richmond.ca.us or call (510) 620-6563.

Leaders-in-Training Program (LITP)

The Community Services Department started the new Leaders-in-Training Program (LITP) that gives teens from ages 13 to 17 the exciting opportunity and skills needed to jump start a career in the recreation industry while earning service hours and experiencing outdoor adventures. Teens meet at Booker T. Anderson Community Center on Mondays and Tuesdays from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM, and field trips are held on second Saturdays of the month from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The program ends on June 6th and it cost $20 for the entire duration.

Contact Tetteh Kisseh (510) 620-6823 for more information.

ServiceWorks Richmond – Volunteers Needed

ServiceWorks, in conjunction with the City of Richmond Community Services Department, Points of Light, AmeriCorps and Citi Foundation, is actively recruiting volunteers to assist with groundbreaking programming. The program’s primary goal is to engage young adults (16-24 years of age) and bring educational modules that drive skill building, volunteering, and success coaching as strategies to help address barriers to youth economic opportunity.

The program offers the opportunity for participants, also known as Service Scholars, to gain valuable college and career experience to which they may not have easy access. Through developing their own service projects and team exercises, Service Scholars will have the opportunity to gain a range of skills.

Volunteers are vital to the success of this program. We are looking for all who wish to make a positive impact on the lives of the youth within our community. Whether it is for a week, a day, or even just a few hours in a month, you can help empower the service scholars to face any obstacle that they may block their path towards sustainable community development.

ServiceWorks gives youth the keys to unlock their future; we are looking for volunteers who will give them the means to open the door.

For more information, please contact: Nicholas Delgado (510) 621-1834, or email: Nicholas_Delgado@ci.richmond.ca.us.

Highlights

Booker T. Anderson Baseball Fields
Between February 10th and February 24th, 50 volunteers from Wheelhouse Academy (a Richmond business), Realm Charter School, and the More Than a Game organization worked over 20 hours to repair and refresh three baseball fields at Booker T. Anderson Park.  They cut a new infield diamond, cleared two others of overgrown grass, laid new infield dirt over all fields, built new batters boxes by laying bricks, clay and new dirt, built new pitching mounds, and cleared areas of weeds and overgrowth. The fields are available for use by City, Wheelhouse Academy of Baseball, and Realm Charter School programs which serve the Richmond Community, including after-school programs, classes, clinics, camps, and Wheelhouse Academy’s GameChangers College Development program designed to help motivate and create a path for Richmond kids to attend college through baseball.

Wheelhouse Academy’s future plans, in partnership with the City of Richmond, include a Phase 2 field upgrade to include new lights, backstops, dugouts, batting cages, pitching bullpens, storage areas, and portable mounds.  This would allow the park to be used for games and baseball tournaments bringing a renewed enthusiasm for baseball, improved quality of life value for the area, and much needed revenue to the Richmond community.  It’s A New Game!

IMG_9421_3_1520461920909IMG_9418_3_1520461920951IMG_9416_3_1520461920992
IMG_9413_3_1520461921078
IMG_9426_3_1520461920713IMG_9422_3_1520461920863

The 15th Annual Chinese New Year Celebration
The City of Richmond Community Services Department held the 15th Annual Chinese New Year Celebration on Saturday, March 3rd at the Richmond Memorial Auditorium. The event featured characters from each of the 12 years of the Chinese zodiac, placed in various locations around the auditorium. The celebration included a dinner by Hong Kong Restaurant and performances from various entertainers throughout the evening. In addition to some regular Richmond Senior Center dance groups such as the San Bin Dancers, new performances for the year included the UC Berkeley Fei Tian Dancers, Compania Mexico Danza and the Center for Lao Studies. As has been a tradition for many years, the White Crane Lion and Dragon Dance Association from San Francisco opened the evening's festivities with a wonderful lion and dragon dance.

The celebration also included some wonderful zumba and dance numbers from Yannet Torres and Oscar Solano. A number of costumed dogs provided some entertainment by tossing lucky red envelopes to the audience. The event culminated in a 50/50 drawing and lucky dog door prize. The estimated attendance for the evening was almost 420 participants.

Thank you everyone for making this event a huge success!

P3020903P3020902P3030944
P3030937

• Information Technology

Website Statistics for the Week Ending 03-09-2018

é    Page LIKES are up 83%
é    Actions on page are up 100%
é    Page views up 19%
é    People reached are up 49%
é    Post engagements are up 184%
é    Followers are up

KCRT DATANET OF THE WEEK
0317-Rent Board Community Meeting
0310-Sisters in Solidarity 2-Diana Becton

0310-Sisters in Solidarity 1

0404-Year of The Bird - New Day 30404-Year of The Bird - New Day 2

http://bit.ly/2Eff4qn
UPDATE and Rescheduled Event:
On Wednesday, April 4th, the City of Richmond and Golden Gate Audubon will celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

This celebration includes:
🐦 Opening of Golden Gate Audubon’s Centennial Exhibit in City Hall
🐦 Richmond Chalk ART
🐦 Join the fun at Richmond Civic Center 9:00am to noon
🐦 Enjoy the early bird video https://youtu.be/2tBRY4i4MIs

• Infrastructure Maintenance and Operations (DIMO)

Abatement:
Abatement crews installed a fence to prevent unauthorized access to a vacant lot, removed tons of debris from a tow yard as requested by the Police Department, continued abating Central Underpass sidewalks, removed homeless encampments from public right of ways, removed tons of illegal dumping, and removed graffiti throughout the City.
DSC04491Phanor 12613 Phanor (13)
DSC058719
Fencing

tows (1)tows%20(2)
towss%20(1)towss%20(2)
Freeman’s Tow Yard

Central (3)Central (10)
Central (1)IMG_0197
Central and I-80 Underpass

3221Floridaa (2)3221 Florida (3)
Homeless Encampment

DSCN0719IMG_0178
DSCN0629IMG_0490
IMG_0491IMG_0493
Illegal Dumping

IMG_6286IMG_6314
IMG_6289IMG_6315
Graffiti Abatement

Facilities Maintenance Division:
Utility Workers continued to remove weeds from the Civic Center Plaza, moved items for Information and Technology (IT), replaced bulbs in various locations, set-up various rooms for events, set-up Council Chambers, and maintained 29 City-owned facilities.

Bulb Replacement

Parks and Landscaping Division:
General maintenance crews continued with baseball field maintenance, ground five tree stumps on Esmond Avenue, cleaned a homeless encampment on the Greenway, trimmed ivy at Nicholl Park, and repaired a bench at Rain Cloud Park.

Bench Repair Raincloud
Bench Repair at Rain Cloud Park

The tree crew trimmed trees on 24th Street, Regatta Boulevard, Andrade Avenue, and San Pablo Avenue. Staff also ground stumps on Ventura Street.

Regatta Blvd and Marina Wy South
Tree Trimming on Regatta Boulevard

Hilltop District crews continued general maintenance around the business area, completed weed abatement at Bay Vista Park, abated weeds at Country Club Vista Park, and continued weed abatement on Atlas Road.

Atlas Road Maintenance
Atlas Road Maintenance

Marina District crews continued with the Regatta Boulevard improvements, edged and mowed turf throughout, removed graffiti on the Bay Trail, and continued with rose bed maintenance at Lucretia Edwards Park.

Rosebed Maintenance
Rose Bed Maintenance

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments about these or any other items of interest to you.

Have a great week!

Bill Lindsay
City Manager
City of Richmond
450 Civic Center Plaza
Richmond, California 94804
(510) 620-6512
Bill_lindsay@ci.richmond.ca.us

You can sign up to receive the City Manager’s weekly report and other information from the City of Richmond by visiting: www.ci.richmond.ca.us/list.aspx

See below to see options for connecting with the City of Richmond.

Connecting with the City of Richmond

COR Connect Service Concern and Issues 1
COR Connect Service Concern and Issues 2
COR Connect Service Concern and Issues 3
COR Connect Service Concern and Issues 4
Connect with the City of Richmond

To contact us by phone:

The City’s website (http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/) provides a department and staff directory at http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Directory.aspx.

If you’re not sure which department you need to contact, or, if you don’t receive a call back (which should not happen) from your original call or message, we encourage you to phone the City Manager’s office at (510) 620-6512.

Using the CORConnect Application on the City’s Website:
You can use the CORConnect button on the City’s website (http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/) to report a concern, pose a question, or acknowledge the City’s work in some way.  These CORConnect issues go directly to the responsible department, and the city manager reviews reported issues on a regular basis to determine if City staff members are responding appropriately.  If you do not feel that you have received a satisfactory response, please contact the City Manager’s office at (510) 620-6512.
To access CORConnect select the CORConnect button on the homepage of the City website.

Alternatively you can select the COR Connect button on any other webpage on the left hand side of the page.

On the next screen under Report an Issue select Report Issue/Concern to create a report or Search Issue/Concerns to look up a previously reported issue.  You can also look up previously submitted issues to check on the current status if you provided you name, phone number or email when you submitted it. 

On the page, you can also look up information on a parcel, see permits issued and look up business license information.  If you have a current business license you can pay to renew it online with a credit card.

The recommended browsers are: Microsoft Edge, or Microsoft Internet Explorer version 11 using the compatibility mode. It can be found in the upper right corner of Internet Explorer: click on the "gear" icon and select Compatibility View Settings, then add the site to the list and click "Close".
The City of Richmond is looking forward to feedback from the community on CORConnect. We welcome your comments at webservices@ci.richmond.ca.us

Using the City of Richmond Mobile Application:

The City of Richmond mobile app provides Richmond’s community members with one-stop access to City services and information via mobile devices. The app allows quick and real-time reporting of neighborhood-related issues; viewing the City’s events calendar; finding addresses and phone numbers of local businesses, city departments and council members.  The City of Richmond’s mobile phone app is available on the Apple App store and Google Play store. 

MOBILE APP UPDATE

We welcome your comments at webservices@ci.richmond.ca.us

< RETURN