Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2017  
  < RETURN  
  Open Season on Greedy Landlords
November 23, 2017

I get a lot of inquiries these days, like the one below, from people who own rental property in Richmond wanting to know what I, as mayor, am going to do about the exorbitant fees they are being billed for Richmond’s rent program. I advise them that I opposed Rent Control and Just Cause and never voted for it, although 2/3 of voters did, and that the Rent Program is administered by a bureaucracy totally separate from the City Council with no City Council control. I also advise them that if they have complaints, they should contact the six City Council members who supported Rent Control.

I just received the latest news letter regarding rent control (standards for changing max rent).  I'm a landlord in the Richmond Area and this is definitely going to hurt the profitability of my small mom and pop business. The City is going to start determining the value of our property and how much we can make. What steps are you taking towards protecting landlords from this abuse?  Also do you recommend any associations for landlord that are actively addressing this matter?

Below is what landlords got in the mail recently advising them of the minimum fees they owe for the privilege of providing even a single unit of rental housing in Richmond:

Fee

Amount

Business License Tax

$234.10

Residential Rental Inspection Program

$161.00

Fire Prevention Services Fee

$112.00

Residential Rental Housing Fee

$145.00

$652.10

If you want to find out more about Richmond’s Rent Control/Just Cause program, the City is offering two workshops in December, just in time for Christmas.

Community Education Workshops - Setting Standards for Changes in the Maximum Rent

For most multifamily rental properties in the City of Richmond, rent increases are limited to the annual change in the Consumer Price Index (a measure of inflation).

In the coming months, the Rent Board will establish standards for allowing individual rent increases and decreases due to a rental unit’s conditions, historic rental rates, operating costs, and other reasons. 

All are invited to attend and provide feedback on topics such as: 
• Rules and standards for increasing or decreasing rents for rent-controlled rental units 
• How the Rent Board defines a “fair rate of return” on rental property investments 
• Calculating rent reductions due to problems with the rental unit (pests, broken appliances, etc.) 

Workshop #1                                Workshop #2
Monday, December 4, 2017          Saturday, December 9, 2017
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM                        10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
City Council Chambers                  Multipurpose Room  
440 Civic Center Plaza                  440 Civic Center Plaza (Basement)

Space is limited – RSVP today: https://rentprogram.eventbrite.com 
Questions? Visit www.richmondrent.org to learn more about the Rent Program, or call or email the Rent Program at (510) 620-6576 or rent@ci.richmond.ca.us.

FINAL ENGLISH FLYER Resized

Final Spanish Flyer Resized

< RETURN