Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2017  
  < RETURN  
  Please Review Richmond Marketing Logo Proposals
January 13, 2017

One of the top priorities I had coming into office in 2015 was to conduct a full scale branding and marketing study for Richmond The goal of this study is to make sure that the way we represent ourselves as a City is reflective of our community and that we establish an image and improved reputation with our residents, neighbors, businesses and visitors. I have wanted to do this ever since the aborted Branding and Marketing initiative of 2009. See http://www.tombutt.com/forum/2015/15-03-11.htm for history.

The Mayor’s Office raised over $100,000 in donations, primarily from the business community, and contracted with  North Star Destination Strategies to undertake the effort. The first phase, which included a massive and exhaustive market research effort both in and outside Richmond, was completed at the end of 2015 and presented to the City Council on January 26, 2016,. Click on Richmond Research Report, which includes fascinating detail about people’s perceptions of Richmond.

In 2016, a small focus group (Creative Committee) of representatives from the Richmond Main Street Initiative, the Richmond Convention and Visitors Bureau  the Chamber of Commerce, and other organizations worked with the mayor’s Office and Northstar to develop a strapline(a short, easily remembered phrase used by an organization so that people will recognize it or its products). The one they chose is:

Richmond, California. Bay Front. Home Front. Out Front.

The first two statements of the strapline are self-evident. The third refers to Richmond’s growing reputation as a leader and innovator in sustainability, environmental, education and health initiatives.

The Logo development proved to be challenging, and many months were spent reviewing proposals. We asked Northstar to focus on graphics that highlighted Richmond’s image as a waterfront city. This message seems to be most compelling to people who know little about Richmond and are surprised to find out that it is the home of Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park (now nearing 100,000 visitors a year), has 32 miles of shoreline and more miles of Bay Trail than any other city.

Today, Northstar presented the PowerPoint Richmond Logos, that describes the development of the graphics shown below. The hyperlink Richmond Logos for the PowerPoint has full size versions of each proposal. I am asking E-FORUM readers to circulate this E-FORUM widely and to share both your preferences and the reasons for your preferences with me. If you want to refer to a specific graphic, use the number to the left of the image.

The final phase will include an applications plan with recommendations how to use the strapline and logo in a comprehensive marketing strategy that can be used by the City, by the business community and by community organizations.

< RETURN