Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2016  
  < RETURN  
  Groundwork Richmond ~ Summer Kayaking Adventures
July 19, 2016

There was a recent string of posts on Facebook from presumably Richmond residents criticizing kayak classes at the Richmond Plunge by an organization, California Canoe and Kayak, who had rented the Plunge for that purpose. One individual malcontent insisted on making a classist and racist issue out of kayaks, presuming that using a kayak was an elitist opportunity not available to people of color and/or lesser financial means.

In a city with miles of publicly accessible shoreline, free to all for kayaking ore whatever, I was appalled by the critic’s line of reasoning., which the story below disproves.

Subject: Groundwork Richmond ~ Summer Kayaking Adventures

Hi there,

As you may know, Groundwork Richmond received a $44,000 grant to launch an outdoor youth kayak program for Richmond's Green Team. We will be "christening" our seaworthy vessels on Thursday July 28th at 10 a.m. at the Harbormaster's Boat Launch. I would like to personally invite to help us launch this program. It will be a very short program (30 minutes or less) unless you want to kayak with the group. Please let me know if you're available. Most appreciated. Sarah 

press release link below.

Groundwork Richmond, REI & the National Park Foundation ~ Breaking Barriers

Please Come Join Us for Our Historic Launch!

Groundwork Richmond is spearheading this REI, NPS & NPF initiative to improve access, and remedy the historic absence of diverse people enjoying water-based outdoor recreation activities. The Green Team Summer Kayaking Adventures will  officially launch with a partner celebration and wet-run safety check paddling along the SF Bay Water Trail from the Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park and around the East Bay Regional Park District’s Brooks Island.
                                                                                                                                       #GroundworkRichmond, #NPS100

Connect with us

Facebook  Twitter  YouTube 

Groundwork Richmond | 249 Tewkesbury Avenue, SUITE "A", Richmond , CA 94801-3026

--
Sarah Calderon
Executive Director

check us out at www.groundworkrichmond.org

< RETURN