Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2015  
  < RETURN  
  Ranger Betty Soskin, 93, on the Rosie the Riveter National Park, California
May 8, 2015

Ranger Betty Soskin, 93, on the Rosie the Riveter national park, California
The oldest national park ranger in the US tells us why she’s proud of the second world war home front park in Richmond, just across the bay from San Francisco
Visitor Center at Rosie the Riveter national historic Park, Richmond, California.
Coming up Rosie … the visitor Centre at Rosie the Riveter national historic park, Richmond, California. Photograph: Alamy
Interview by Will Coldwell
Friday 8 May 2015 08.30 EDT Last modified on Friday 8 May 2015 09.12 EDT
I settled in the greater Bay Area as a six-year-old in 1927. When I graduated from high school in 1938, my two opportunities for employment were working in agriculture or being a domestic servant. At that time, labour unions weren’t racially integrated and, during the war, I worked as a clerk for the segregated boilermakers’ union.
Ranger Betty Soskin with a photo of herself has a young woman.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Ranger Betty Soskin with a photo of herself as a young woman. Photograph: Alamy
Rosie the Riveter national park in Richmond, over the bay from San Francisco, tells the story of America’s home front in the second world war. It takes in scattered sites such as the Kaiser Shipyards and the Ford assembly plant and preserves the legacy not only of the women who entered non-traditional labour for the first time, but of all those who served.
The park is creating a common history. Richmond was a town of 23,000 people in 1942 and a city of 130,000 by the war’s end, so the city is a collection of strangers looking for an identity. The park is helping to do that.
It’s an indication of how much social change has occurred in this country, that 70 years on from working in that union hall, after raising four children and outliving a couple of husbands, I could return to Richmond as a field representative for the state of California. In those intervening years, the country had evolved.
The National Park Service is America’s greatest gift to itself. Movie director Ken Burns said that, and I think it’s true. Having places where America can revisit its past and move together to a more compassionate future is a gift – and the Rosie the Riveter park is one of those places.
One of the most important sites is the Rosie memorial. It was designed by two San Franciscan artists: Cheryl Barton and Susan Schwartzenberg. It’s an abstraction of a part of a ship, and there’s a timeline of the story of the home front in one direction and, in the other, quotes from the women – Rosies – whose oral histories we have.
Rosie the Riveter memorial in the historic park, Richmond.The Rosie memorial has a timeline on one side and quotes from the ‘Rosies’ on the other. Photograph: Alamy
As a woman of colour, my history with the park is a bit different. My experience was not as a Rosie the Riveter; that tended to be a white woman’s story. Black women had been working outside their homes ever since slavery.
I’ve been involved with the park since it opened. I was the only person of colour at the meeting held in 2000 to flesh out its identity, and the only one who could look at the scattered sites and point out that most of them were also sites of racial segregation. There was no grand conspiracy to leave [black] history out – it was just that no one else in that room had any reason to remember it.
I love showing visitors a film about the history of Richmond. When it ends, I get to do a commentary, bringing that history into the future. When the park was being set up, the exhibit designers and film makers really did listen to those of us who lived and worked here. I feel very much a part of its creation.
The view of San Francisco Bay from Richmond.
The view of San Francisco Bay from Richmond. Photograph: Alamy
One of my favourite places is the Ford assembly plant. The vista from that place takes in Oakland and Angel Island, Alcatraz and San Francisco, and all of the nine counties that touch the bay. Sitting on the shoreline, looking at the Bay Area, is one of my favourite things, and I take a few moments out of every day to do that.
Whatever I do today has to be done right because I don’t have time to do it over again. I’m at place where I now have full respect for conflicting truths – all of us live a different reality. And the park that I work in also appreciates those truths.
There’s a life-size mural in the visitor centre depicting MacDonald Avenue, the main street that runs through Richmond, taken on 6 December 1941, the day before the dropping of the bombs on Pearl Harbor. We have visitors from all over the world, and most stop at that mural.
I’m 93, in my 10th decade. If your brain is still intact at this age, you have an incredible perspective – it’s a wonderful time to be living.

Want to receive TOM BUTT E-FORUM and other action alerts on Richmond political and community issues delivered to your email address? Email your name and email address and/or the names and email addresses of others who would like to be placed on the mailing list and the message "subscribe" to tom.butt@intres.com. Comments, arguments and corrections are welcome.  Tom Butt is a member of the Richmond City Council   when opinions and views expressed, without other attribution, in TOM BUTT E-FORUM, they are those of Tom Butt and do not reflect official views or positions of the City of Richmond or the Richmond City Council unless otherwise noted. Visit the Tom Butt website for additional information about Tom Butt's activities on the Richmond City Council: http://www.tombutt.com.  Phone 510/236-7435 or 510/237-2084. Subscription to this service is at the personal discretion of the recipient and may be terminated by responding with “unsubscribe.” It may take a few days to remove addresses from the distribution list.

This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

To the extent that content is excerpted under the fair use doctrine from other media, I urge readers to subscribe to the print versions of these media with print versions to help support professional journalism and the businesses that publish news, and I urge readers to log in to the online versions to access additional content, related content and unrelated news as well as the advertisements that support the media. I especially appreciate local sources of news that include the Contra Costa Times , the San Francisco Chronicle, Richmond Confidential and the East Bay Express.

< RETURN