Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2014  
  < RETURN  
  Eye on the East Bay: Arkansas Rattlesnake Strikes in Richmond
November 10, 2014

Eye on the East Bay: Arkansas rattlesnake strikes in Richmond
Contra Costa Times
Posted:   11/09/2014 12:00:00 AM PST0 Comments
Arkansas rattlesnake strikes: By now, everyone is familiar with the story: Chevron, which runs a refinery in Richmond, spent more than $3 million to defeat its opponents and elect its favored candidates to local government but was shut out by voters on Tuesday.
One curious side note was new mayor Tom Butt's win over Chevron-backed Nat Bates, and how the wily Butt used a venomous alter-ego to strike down his massive opponents.

Hit pieces against Butt stuffed mailboxes in October, calling the 70-year-old, southern-born architect the "Arkansas Rattlesnake" for his alleged cunning.
Rather than decry the attacks, Butt embraced them.

"While I was not impressed by the content of the flier, which was so stupid I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, I did, however, like the 'Arkansas Rattlesnake' bit," Butt wrote on his e-forum. "In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to go with it."

Butt went on to issue his own digital fliers, dubbing himself the Arkansas Rattlesnake and boasting that his victims included crime, pollution and high unemployment.
When Butt celebrated his overwhelming victory at a favorite Point Richmond restaurant, with spirits flowing like water and more than 60 friends and family in full revelry, his new theme song blasted over the speakers.

"I am the Arkansas Rattlesnake/Livin' in your town," the folksy voice boomed. "I'm just tryin' to stop Chevron/from burnin' the whole place down!"
Advertisement
Listen to the song at http://bit.ly/1xaTpCG

< RETURN