Tom Butt

E-Mail Forum – 2014  
  < RETURN  
  Something Scary to Think About
October 24, 2014

In the spirit of Halloween, I submit the graphic below, using the “Arkansas Rattlesnake” theme introduced in a hit piece sponsored by my opponentt Nat Bates. See Targeted by Bates and Chevron, October 16, 2014. A copy of the hit piece cover is posted below so you can get the flavor.

While I was not impressed by the content of the flyer, which was so stupid I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, I did, however, like the “Arkansas Rattlesnake” bit. In fact, I liked it so much, I decided to go with it, encouraged by a number of my supporters, including a big crowd at a May Valley candidates forum last night. If you want to know more about the Nat Bates and Chevron connection with BMW, scroll on down to the bottom of the page.

Meanwhile, enjoy this slice of Halloween-tinged politics and send it to your friends, post it on Facebook and put a copy in your window if you have no other Halloween decorations.

Snake Bit

Ar Snake
Above, cover of the hit piece

As late as last night, Nat Bates claimed no connection the the PAC called BMW, but in fact, he is synonymous with BMW (Black Men and Women), which has two FPPC PAC numbers, 941580 and 951580. Don’t take my word for it; on the City of Richmond website, Nat Bates lists himself as a “Founding member of (BMW) Black Men and Women Political organization” (http://ca-richmond2.civicplus.com/index.aspx?NID=398).

For years, Bates has used the BMW PAC as a way to raise money for himself and Chevron-supported candidates. As an independent committee, BMW is supposed to have no communication or involvement with candidates or candidate-controlled committees. Bates has paid little attention to this over the years, but in 2005 he was disciplined by the FPPC and fined $7,000 (http://www.fppc.ca.gov/Agendas/2005/04-05/99-726Exh.pdf) for misusing the BMW PAC. The FPPC report notes:

Respondent Nathaniel Bates was a founding member of BMW in the early 1980’s. He remained a member of BMW until May 15, 1999, when he submitted a written resignation from MW in anticipation of his upcoming city council election, and based on his belief that candidates were prohibited “from being members of independent committees who will be active in the Richmond City Council election.” Despite his resignation, as set forth below, he continued to play a very active role on behalf of BMW in a number of its activities. On August 21, 1999, Respondent Nathaniel Bates sent a letter on BMW letterhead soliciting attendance at a fundraiser for then-San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown. Respondent Nathaniel Bates also coordinated a golf tournament on behalf of BMW to raise money for voter education and/or “get out the vote” efforts. On September 29, 1999, Respondent Nathaniel Bates arranged for BMW to pay for a freezer and food that was donated to the Hacienda Housing Development in Richmond. On October 5, 1999, at a Richmond City Council meeting, Respondent Nathaniel Bates presented BMW jackets to five individuals for their life-saving efforts at a local fire scene. At that same city council meeting, on behalf of BMW, Respondent Nathaniel Bates presented a plaque and a check to a local citizen for heroic acts. As discussed above, Nathaniel Bates continued to Act in the capacity of BMW Director for numerous official activities of the organization, notwithstanding his resignation from Respondent BMW. These facts demonstrate his continuing “cooperation” with, if not “control” of, Respondent BMW’s campaign activities on his be
half.

You can go to the City Clerk's website for Form 460 reports at http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/index.aspx?... Bates hosts an annual golf tournament every year to replenish the BMW war chest, and the donors are a rogues gallery of city contractors, developers, industries, city fire and police unions and of course Chevron. One of the biggest donors this year at $7,500 was Veolia, which contracts with the City to operate its sewer system and wastewater plant. This year, BMW donated $2,500 each to Nat Bates, Corky Booze, Al Martinez and Donna Powers, remarkably the same as Chevron’s Moving Forward PAC (http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/29781).

Since we're talking about the history of Richmond politics, let's shed some more light on this. BMW originally stood for (Nat) Bates, (Jim) McMillan, and (Lonnie) Washington, before becoming "Black Men and Women". At one election cycle, it even conveniently became Boatwright (the late Senator Dan Boatwright, for whom Bates worked for a while), McMillan and Washington, It was organized as a front for control of the City Council by Chevron, Darrell Reese and other nefarious characters, and was run, along with Bates, by lobbyist, fixer, bag-man, convicted felon, and Local 188 head, Darrell Reese, the "White Shadow." See this fascinating account at: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/th...

In 1998, Jim McMillan jumped ship over concerns about Reese's influence, and blasted the organization in a West County Times article: "The Black Men and Women organization is being controlled by a 'white, conservative Republican, who doesn't even live in the city, former City Councilman and BMW founder Jim McMillan said Monday. 'He's their Svengali, their guru.'"

In the same January 20, 1998, article, The West County Times went on to report that McMillan left the BMW because he felt Reese had too much influence over the organization and that Reese's influence was "based primarily on the political money he brings to the organization."

Darrell Reese was a Machiavellian political operator who took great pride in his iron control over Richmond politics -- largely achieved through back-room deals and dirty hit-pieces -- until he was discredited, investigated, and convicted of a felony relating to his political operations in Richmond -- and ultimately forced into the shadows. Many of "Reece's pieces" were aimed at exploiting racial and class division in Richmond, while embracing candidates, regardless of color, who supported Chevron or other nefarious industrial or development projects..

BMW, now primarily controlled by Nat Bates, still boldly continues Reece's tradition of purveying dishonest hit-pieces and playing upon racially divisive politics. BMW's history represents everything that is/was wrong with corporate control over Richmond politics in the past, and shows why we need the change we are finally seeing in Richmond.
Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

< RETURN