]
Tom Butt Header E-Forum

E-Mail Forum – 2014  
  < RETURN  
  Vacating Hacienda Will Be a Challenge
March 29, 2014

You can access the staff report at the hyperlink below. I recommend you read it very carefully.

ADOPT a resolution reauthorizing the Authority's Executive Director to submit an Inventory Removal Application to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development for the Hacienda Public Housing Development and authorizing the Executive Director to initiate the relocation process in compliance with state relocation law (Title 25 California Code of Regulations Section 6000 and following) and applicable federal relocation law - Richmond Housing Authority (Tim Jones 621-1310).

It turns out that vacating the Hacienda as soon as possible is not a simple matter, and either a voluntary relocation or a HUD-assisted relocation will take months. The voluntary relocation previously ordered by the City Council (RHA Board) will cost the general fund nearly $700,000 that we don’t have and will further reduce the Housing Authority’s performance rating. It is also fraught with many downside serious consequences.

All this is to show that the City Council (RHA Board) acted hastily and without prudence.

I continue to believe that this crisis is largely due to HUD underfunding the actual requirements of the RHA, but no one on the City Council (RHA Board) or the press is taking that seriously. The City’s best course of action is to simply give it all back to HUD and let them deal with it. I predict that if the City actually made that threat, HUD would scramble to find a way to fix all this. All HUD is doing now is continuing to strangle the City with red tape and starve us for money.

< RETURN