Date:                May 2, 2013
District:        4 - Oakland
Phone:        510/286-5445
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Interstate 580 Scofield Avenue and Western Drive  
Bridge Decks Replacement Project
Lane Closures Continue
Message Line Added for Public Outreach

Contra Costa County – Construction continues for the Interstate 580 Scofield Avenue and Western Drive Bridge Decks Replacement Project. Lane closures are scheduled for westbound and eastbound Interstate 580, in the vicinity of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge Toll Plaza. At least one lane in each direction will remain open at all times. Drivers should expect delays and allow extra time in their daily commute.

·        Tonight Caltrans will restripe the westbound lanes so that the three lanes are merged to two lanes prior to the westbound I-580 Richmond Parkway on-ramp. The restriping should help with merging at the Richmond Parkway on-ramp.

·        In general, at night, due to construction activities, lanes will be reduced to one lane. If you are travelling on eastbound I-580, week night closures begin at 7 p.m. If you are travelling westbound, week night closures begin at 9 p.m.

·        In early May there will be structural work as well as roadway excavation as Caltrans begins to build the crossover in the median.

·        The long term, 90-day closure of the eastbound Western Drive on-ramp will begin in June 2013.  There will be brief closures prior to that date when the contractor is working in the area.  However, they intend to use a flagger and allow vehicles through the work area, when possible.

This work is weather dependent.  If it is delayed due to weather conditions, work will be rescheduled. Please drive cautiously through the construction zone and leave a safe traveling distance between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead of you.  Please remember to “Slow for the Cone Zone.”

Caltrans plans to begin replacement of the westbound bridge decks in early June 2013. During construction of the westbound bridge decks, the eastbound Western Drive on-ramp will be closed for approximately 90 days. Passenger vehicles that are 3/4 ton or less will use the existing bicycle facility that runs underneath I-580.  During the hours between 5:30 a.m. and 9:30 p.m., there will be a flagger at the entrance of the bicycle path, and a pilot vehicle will lead vehicles to eastbound I-580.  The pilot vehicle will then return to the entrance to the bike facility where the flagger is stationed.  Larger vehicles and trucks, however, will travel westbound across the Richmond-San Rafael bridge, exit at the San Quentin interchange, turn left at the end of the off-ramp, and turn left at the on-ramp to eastbound I-580.  The detour across the bridge and back is about 9 miles long, and the extra travel time will be about 10 minutes, regardless of the time of day.  

Caltrans plans additional outreach to the Point Molate Community Advisory Committee, the Point Richmond Neighborhood Council, and residents on Western Drive.  

For more information about the project, please call our message line at (510) 286-5820 or visit the Caltrans webpage at http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/580scofieldave/  

Allyn Amsk
Public Information Officer
Caltrans, District 4, Office of Public Affairs
Office (510) 286-5445  

< RETURN