[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  More Slate Mailers
October 30, 2012

The story below, “Beware of slate mailers,” is from Contra Costa Times Political Columnist Lisa Vordebruggen.
slate 1_Page_1.jpgslate 1_Page_2.jpgslate 1_Page_3.jpg
The second slate mailer, “Why we run,” with my name on it landed in mailboxes yesterday. Like the first one, it was well designed and accurate insofar as the information about me was concerned. And I appreciate the exposure. But also like the first one, it included Bell, Bates, Bartlett and Prop 33, none of which I support.
Beware of slate mailers!
Lisa Vordebruggen, Contra Costa Times

Mailboxes are full up these days with campaign materials and among them are those ubiquitous and sneaky slate mailers.

These bear deceptively innocent titles such as "Budget Watchdog," "COPS Voter Guide" and "The National Tax-Limitation Committee."

Read the fine print because most  are produced by for-profit companies that sell space, package them up and mail them out. Interpretation of slates is further complicated by the fact that not every candidate or issue that appears on a slate mailer has paid or authorized its appearance.

Not that I oppose making money. In fact, I quite favor it. But a slate mailer seeks to intentionally give voters the impression of broad support from a particular group, such as environmentalists, law enforcement or taxpayer watchdogs. It's classic pufferfish campaigning: Make yourself look bigger than you are and maybe no one will notice your true size.

For an example, check out the disclaimer on this slate mailer sent out in Richmond this week. (You can view the entire mailer here.)

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8054/8123487673_145c097bcd_b.jpg

As Richmond Councilman and re-election candidate Tom Butt noted in his email blast this week:

"A mailer with my photo on it and promoting my candidacy came yesterday, but I didn't send it. It was actually a pretty good piece, except it also promoted (Nat) Bates, (Gary) Bell, (Yelda) Bartlett and Proposition 33, none of which I have endorsed. I don’t know where it came from, except it indicates that Yelda Bartlett (candidate for AC Transit District 1) and 'Yes on Prop 33; paid for it. While I appreciate the exposure, and I am happy to report that the information about me in the mailer is accurate, I have to warn that it is a classic slate mailer prepared by a slate mailing company for the purpose of making money."

RETURN