[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  WCCUSD School Board President Endorses Soda Tax
August 17, 2012

WCCUSD  School Board President
Charles Ramsey Endorses Sugary Drinks Tax Measures

Description: Description: Description: Charles RamseyCharles Ramsey, President of the West Contra Costa Unified School District, has added his voice to the growing chorus of support for the November 2012 ballot measure known as the "sugary drinks tax."   A district board member for almost 20 years, Mr. Ramsey stated:
We are building new schools for Richmond kids, but even more important is to build healthy bodies and minds.  Sodas and other sugary drinks undermine this effort, and the Richmond sugary drinks tax will help our children.
The school official has witnessed firsthand the impact of the childhood obesity epidemic:  
Our students do worse and worse every year in the fitness tests, and I worry about them. 52% of our Richmond children are obese or overweight.  The problem has hit African American and Latino kids very hard, putting their health at serious risk.
Mr. Ramsey said he sees the sugary drinks tax measure as an important part of a larger community response to promote children's health:  
Kids need our collective efforts as parents and educators to become healthier and stronger. There are no sugary drinks sold at our schools and we are working hard to expand PE opportunities. But this is not enough. Parents, neighborhoods, and merchants must help to create an after-school environment that promotes healthy diets, physical exercise, sports, and recreation-relaxation. Many of our kids are stressed and use sodas and candy as a way to deal with the stress.
Mr. Ramsey discloses that he is personally familiar with the health-damaging effects of excessive sugar:
For 14 years I have lived with adult-onset diabetes. Looking back, I wish I had known more about diabetes and its causes earlier in my life. Fortunately, I have changed my diet, dropped all sugary drinks, and swim three times a week. I feel great and have no need for diabetes medications.
Ramsey also backs a companion measure that will advise the Richmond City Council to direct proceeds from the sugary drinks tax exclusively to sports and anti-obesity programs:
I have complete trust that the Richmond City Council will honor the will of voters and use every cent of the funds raised for the health of Richmond youth. This City Council has demonstrated how much they care for Richmond kids by allocating city funds to prevent the closure of Kennedy High and two local elementary schools. These City Council members have a proven commitment to our children, above and beyond their official responsibilities. They will deliver.

Charles Ramsey is a local family law and housing attorney.  He was first elected to the West Contra Costa Unified School Board in 1993 and re-elected in 1997 and 2002, 2006, and 2010. He currently serves as President of the Board.

See www.fit-for-life.org

RETURN