[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Campaign Update August 17, 2012 - Let the Fun Begin!
August 17, 2012

Evidently, being on the Richmond City Council is much more fun and rewarding than popularly perceived; otherwise why would so many people want to do it? It’s got to be the fun, because I know it’s not the pay or the long hours that are attracting so much interest.  Filing is closed, and eleven candidates have qualified. Nine of them have filed the optional “Statement of Qualifications,” which is a short pitch limited to 200 words that will be printed in the Election Pamphlet. Mark Wassberg and Anthony Lamar Green declined to file a “Statement of Qualifications.” Filing costs only $336, but the additional cost of adding the Statement of Qualifications is $870.

At first glance, a couple of themes pop out.

• Divisiveness and Conflict. There is no question that the City Council has been divisive, but I doubt a new face is going to cure that. Divisiveness alone is not such a bad thing and is simply democracy in action. What grates on people is the way that divisiveness plays out in City Council meetings with incessant interruptions, personal attacks and rambling pointless tirades. Unfortunately, the main source of divisiveness is not up for election. Despite the harangues and late nights, the City Council (not always unanimously) has accomplished great things in the last couple of years, including adopting a new General Plan, bringing LBNL to Richmond, settling a tax dispute with Chevron that brought Richmond a $114 million windfall, a crime rate that continues to fall, an increase in new jobs and a drop in the unemployment rate and opening of the Visitor Center for Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park – to list just a few.
  • Business and Jobs. The current City Council is often mischaracterized as anti-business and an impediment to bringing jobs to Richmond. Nothing could be further from the truth. The new General Plan adopted by the City Council with only Booze and Bates dissenting, is a dramatically pro-growth document. The new General Plan projects between 2005 and 2030 additional population of 41,050 and job growth of 22,488. However, the new General Plan provides capacity for population growth of 50,000 and job growth of 109,165. This is even assuming low density zoning in the North Shoreline which ultimately was not approved.

New businesses are coming to Richmond because of and not despite of the direction Richmond is headed. A good example is Nutiva, which recently held a jobs fair to hire 100 people. Asked why he moved his company from southern California to Richmond, the Nutiva CEO stated that he liked the emphasis the Richmond political leadership has placed on healthy and organic food production, felt Richmond is “up and coming,” and was complimentary of Richmond City staff, particularly Richard Mitchell, in helping to facilitate the move.
Regarding Richmond’s biggest business and biggest employer, Chevron, it is the current City Council that took the initiative to encourage Chevron to reapply for the refinery upgrade project that had been stopped by litigation in 2010. Resolution 15-11 was sponsored by Butt, McLaughlin and Ritterman. The March 1, 2011, City Council Minutes state:

J-2. ADOPT a resolution authorizing the city manager to encourage the Chevron Richmond Refinery to proceed with an application for the Chevron Richmond Renewal Project - Mayor McLaughlin (620-6503), Vice Mayor Butt, and Councilmember Ritterman (620-6581). In the matter to adopt a resolution authorizing the city manager to encourage the Chevron Richmond Refinery to proceed with an application for the Chevron Richmond Renewal Project, Vice Mayor Butt and Mayor McLaughlin gave an overview. The following individuals gave comments: Greg Karras, Kenneth Davis, Dean O'Hair, and Eduardo Martinez. On motion of Vice Mayor Butt, seconded by Mayor McLaughlin adopted Resolution No. 15-11 by the following vote: Ayes: Councilmembers Beckles, Booze, Ritterman, Rogers, Vice Mayor Butt, and Mayor McLaughlin. Noes: None. Abstentions: None. Absent: Councilmember Bates.

Incidentally, I remain the only candidate and the only Richmond City Council member that actually owns and operates a business (in Richmond, no less), hires employees, has to make a payroll and keep customers happy. Everyone has a theory about business and jobs, but it’s hard to beat actual experience – 40 years of it.

Following are the Statements of Qualification along with the order the candidates will be listed on the ballot, which was determine by chance.

My name is:       Bea Roberson____________________________________________________________________

My age is (Optional): ____________________________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:     Retired Construction Accountant____________________________________________________________
(Optional – Occupation shown above may be more descriptive than what will appear on the official ballot)
Education and Qualifications (Statement and word count begin below)

Leadership means listening to everyone, shelving personal agendas and representing ALL of the people.  That’s how I lead as President of the Richmond Neighborhood Coordinating Council and as Chair of the Police Commission and that’s how I’ll lead when serving as your representative on the Richmond City Council.

If we want to address the many problems facing us here at home—joblessness, drugs, crime, a failing infrastructure and a divisive atmosphere—we need leaders who understand and are willing to reach out to every neighborhood forming partnerships with our residents, our businesses and our faith community to find solutions.

Instead of pushing our businesses out of Richmond we need to find ways to bring more businesses—and job opportunities—back to Richmond.

Balancing our environment needs with the need to employ Richmond residents will expand our tax base.  A thriving business community broadens our tax base bringing good paying jobs (with benefits) and allows us to fund our libraries, rec centers, police and fire departments.  It’s all about quality of life.

I would be honored to have your support and your vote.  Won’t you please call me at (510) 334-8979 to share with me your vision of a better Richmond?

My name is:      Eleanor Thompson________________________________________________________________

My age is (Optional): ____________________________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:      Director of Non-Profit Organization____________________________________________________
(Optional – Occupation shown above may be more descriptive than what will appear on the official ballot)

My name is Eleanor Thompson, and I am running for City Council. I have lived in Richmond for more than 45 years, and I have dedicated my life to improving our beautiful city.

I am recognized throughout the Richmond community for my youth activism and my passion for fighting crime here. I have worked with the John Swett and the West Contra Costa Unified School Districts, and am the founder of Social Progress Inc., an organization that provides essential services to youth and young adults. I have faithfully served the community as a Richmond Police Commissioner, with the Anti-Drug Task Force, as president of the Iron Triangle Neighborhood Council, and as the president and block captain of my local neighborhood watch.
I am also dedicated to preserving the beauty of Richmond. I have partnered with the North Richmond Green Beautification Project, and have participated in numerous community clean-up and recycling events.

We need unique approaches for improving education, health services and crime prevention. My involvement in the community has given me invaluable experience to find these unique approaches and implement them effectively.

Your vote for me on November 6th will be a vote for Change and a Better Richmond.

Vote Eleanor Thompson for City Council.

My name is:       Jael Myrick_______________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:     Representative of Assembylmember Nancy Skinner______________________________________

I am a product of this community with the experience, skill set and perspective we need on our Council.  A Graduate of Kennedy High, with three and a half years of service to Richmond's residents as staff for our Assemblymember Nancy Skinner, I'm dedicated to empowering our city and all of its people. 

There are growing concerns that the culture of our City Council has become too divisive.  Having developed positive relationships with everyone on the Council, I am in a unique position to serve as a consensus builder.

I am also passionate about the need to invest in our youth.  At the age of 21 I founded an organization to encourage young people to engage in politics.  If elected I will focus on increasing opportunities for young people as a long term strategy to combat unemployment and reduce violent crime.

I bring with me four years of experience defending the environment with the League of Conservation Voters, and will continue to fight to protect our environment here in Richmond. 

I stand ready to lead this community in a new direction.

Let's Unify Richmond!

My name is:      Mike Ali Kinney____________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:   Self Employed________________________________________________________________________

My name is Mike Ali-Kinney.  Following the footsteps of my mother, I have been a proud resident of Richmond for my entire lifetime.   I have witnessed its history with its successes and failings. I view the City and its vast resources as an underrated jewel of the bay area.  One need only to take a look at BART, Amtrak, freeways, San Pablo and Macdonald Avenues to know that Richmond is a transportation hub for people on the move.

We need to take immediate action to improve our unemployment and under-employment rates, improve economic development, reduce crime including youth violence, and improve our image while avoiding further tax burdens. 

We must take advantage of faith-based organizations, neighborhood councils, and community activists.  We must support and defend our neighborhoods and businesses, our children and our elderly, and increase the visibility of our shoreline, SS Red Oak Victory, the Richmond Museum, the Point, the Heights, the Annex, Hilltop, the downtown, the parks and villages.  

We can no longer tolerate a dysfunctional city council.  We need fresh eyes, new ideas, and better communication between our officials and our neighborhoods. 
We need to work together.  I invite you to call me at 510-478-4569.

My name is:    Tom Butt__________________________________________________________________________

My age is (Optional):   68_________________________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:   Architect/Councilmember______________________________________________________________

I have served on the City Council 17 years.

Moving Richmond forward is a work in progress, and my efforts have made a positive difference.

Richmond is in a better place than it was when I was first elected. It is safer, cleaner, healthier, quieter and greener. It is more equitable and livable, has a more diversified economy and a growing reputation as a city where “We can do it!”

We rehabilitated the Civic Center, the Craneway and The Plunge, brought in Rosie the Riveter National Park and landed Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

We are on a roll, and there is no going back. I helped make this happen, and I intend to continue without letup.

One supporter said she would vote for me for “…your intelligence, your perspective, your wisdom, your experience, your integrity - and, perhaps most of all, your consistent ability to see and express humor in the midst of all of it.”

Another said, “You are the man, for Richmond is a better place for all to live because of your wisdom, vision, intelligence, perseverance and dedication.”

I will continue to communicate with and represent you in the way you have come to expect. www.tombutt.com.

My name is:     Eduardo Martinez__________________________________________________________________

My age is (Optional):   63_________________________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:     Retired Teacher

The children of Richmond are the future of Richmond.

Having taught public education for eighteen years, I know the needs and challenges of our youth.  We must make each Richmond neighborhood safe and healthy by focusing on better schools, job and job training, after-school activities, and better parks. These priorities not only provide hope and opportunities for our kids, they are the reasons businesses will choose Richmond, families will stay, and property values will increase.

Education is the foundation of democracy.  We must ensure a quality education for all citizens.  Libraries must stay open to provide access to learning and technology.  Adult school must stay open for those of us who are trying to improve our work skills, language skills, and knowledge.  Closer ties between the city and the school district must insure a shared concern for the education of our children.

I take no campaign money from corporations and developers.  I am accountable only to the residents of Richmond.  Our leaders must have a vision that voices the needs and aspirations of the people of Richmond.  With your vote, I can be that voice.  Together we can build the city that will serve our children for generations.

www.EduardoMartinez4Richmond.net

My name is:    Gary L. Bell_________________________________________________________________________            

My occupation is:    President/CEO of Cooperative Center Federal Credit Union___________________________________

Master of Business Administration in Financial Management & Organizational Leadership

Part- time Professor CCC teaching Small Business Management

Boardmember; National Federation of Community Development Credit Unions, National Association for Arts & Disabilities, Richmond Downtown Main Street Revitalization, Richmond Convention & Visitors Bureau

We all have less money in our pockets than a few years ago.  My mother taught me that it’s not how much money you have it’s what you do with what you have that is more important.  I will use my mother’s advice and my 25 years of financial management background to make sure your tax dollars are not wasted.    I believe our best days are still ahead of us if we use our resources properly.  I will use my community development experience to work with small and large businesses to help bring jobs for our citizens and revenues to our tax base.  I will support Police and Firefighters to insure you and your children can live in safe crime free neighborhoods.  Repairing your roads is a part of my agenda in serving the community.  In short getting back to basics is my goal for Richmond.

My name is:     Marilyn Langlois___________________________________________________________________

My age is (Optional):    62____________________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:    Community Advocate, Organizer, and Mediator___________________________________________

As a long-time Richmond resident, I seek to serve you on the City Council.  I offer my values, experience and commitment to keep moving Richmond in a positive direction.

City government should be transparent and inclusive.  While working as a community advocate on Mayor Gayle McLaughlin’s staff, I learned how good leadership can prioritize health, dignity and well-being, with particular attention to those whose needs often go unmet.

My experience as a mediator and conflict resolution trainer has given me skills to ensure open and respectful communication, so that everyone affected by important decisions can have a place at the table.

As a volunteer organizer with the League of Women Voters, March4Education, and Richmond Progressive Alliance, I have nurtured a deep commitment to social, environmental and economic justice.   I accept no corporate donations because I am accountable only to you, the voters.

If elected, I’ll work to attract good jobs, promote worker-owned cooperatives, further decrease violent crime through community policing and expanded violence prevention programs, reduce industrial pollution, repair our streets to be pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly, increase library and recreation activities, and continue revitalizing our city.

Together we can build a healthy Richmond for all.  www.marilynlanglois.net

My name is:     Nat Bates__________________________________________________________________________

My occupation is:     Councilmember______________________________________________________________________

For over 40 years I have been fighting on behalf of Richmond’s families. I am proud of the many accomplishments we have achieved together; however, there is still work to be done. I am running for re-election to continue my fight in delivering good paying jobs and safer neighborhoods.  

I will continue working for jobs by investing in the Port, securing Lawrence Berkeley Richmond Campus, and promoting job training programs like Richmond Build.

Before earning my bachelors degree and teaching credential, I was educated in the local school system having attended Stege Elementary, Harry Ells Junior High, El Cerrito High School and Contra Costa College. Therefore, I am appreciative and committed to improving our underperforming schools in the City of Richmond.

My style in working to solve problems is through a respectful, collaborative effort with a common sense approach has been the success of my leadership and has earned me the endorsements from the Richmond Police and Fire Unions, Richmond Chamber of Commerce, Council of Richmond Industries, Contra Costa Democrats, BMW, BAPAC, Labor Unions and others.

I am proud of my record while serving you and would be honored to earn your vote. Thanks and God Bless You.

Please visit www.natbates2012.com

CITY OF RICHMOND
CANDIDATES FOR BALLOT PLACEMENT
NOVEMBER 6, 2012, ELECTION
(Names, Designations, and Placements as they will appear on the ballot)

1.  Mark Wassberg
Filmmaker/Actor

2.  Mike Ali-Kinney
Community Advocate

3.  Eleanor Thompson
Community Advocate

4.  Anthony Lamar Green
Security Personnel

5.  Eduardo Martinez
Retired Teacher

6.  Jael P. Myrick
Community Field Representative