[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Campaign Update July 20, 2012
July 20, 2012

The following individuals have taken out papers to seek election to the Council this November:

1. Mark Wassberg
  2. Nat Bates
  3. Eduardo Martinez
  4. Mike Ali
  5. Bea Roberson
  6. Eleanor Thompson
  7. Anthony Green
  8. Gary Bell
  9. Marilyn Langlois
  10. Tom Butt

I want to thank those of you who have responded to my campaign updates by sending encouragement, donations and endorsements. To donate and/or volunteer, see http://tombutt.com/contribute.htm. Some of the encouraging responses are shown below. New entries are highlighted.

• Your e-mails are my prime source of information about Richmond's civic affairs. Also, I greatly enjoy your sharing various aspects and experiences from your personal life. I look forward to your continued presence on the council.
  • You have my support!  I am so grateful to you for all of the work that you are doing to make Richmond strong and safe.  
  • I deeply appreciate your commitment to transparency in government as well as your considered positions on the issues. Thank you for continuing to ‘go to bat’ for our community.
  • I'm so pleased that seeking reelection, Tom, and that you're remaining on the council.  You're much needed there.  I often wonder why anyone would want to, but if you really care about the political process and believe you can make a difference,
  • One very positive aspect about your activities is all the e-mail info - VERY important & appreciated.
  • Thanks for giving so much of your time to help make Richmond better!
  • Tom Butt, to my present state of mind, you are the top o' the heap; i.e., you must be reelected!
  • You have my full support!  I am so thankful that you are there, and that you are running again.  We need your wise and reasoned voice!
  • Of course, you have my continuing support - you shed light on important issues that others often try to hide.  I applaud your efforts to bring more environmentally-conscious jobs to Richmond and your forward-looking views on the issues, always thinking ahead to the future generations of Richmond by preserving our historic past.  I only wish I could vote for you again, but can't as I'm no longer a Richmond resident.  I will continue to ask my Richmond friends to support your retention of your seat on the Richmond City Council.
  • Tom: you can definitely count on my support; I am very impressed with and appreciative of all you do for  Richmond.
  • I feel very fortunate you continue to serve our community.
  • Tom, you've got my vote. I enjoy your emails, and you seem to be generally aligned with the issues that I feel make Richmond a better place to live. Crime and safety, environment, attracting good quality jobs, and generally running the city more professionally.
  • Thanks for all you've done and continue to do for our city.  
  • You can absolutely count on my support. Thank you for your in depth e-mails and your tireless energy for promoting Richmond
  • You can count on my support.  We have lived here just two years (moved from Boston) and I find you to be an excellent councilman--you are active and on the right side of issues, and you care for the people and town of Richmond.  Education is a big issue for me, and Richmond's retirement of its state debt is a big step forward.
  • As far as I am concerned, you have taken a realistic, "Wally Stegner", approach to solving problems facing the City of Richmond + you have succeeded!
  • You can count on my support.  I have followed and admired your terms on the City Council over the years.  I am most impressed with how you research issues BEFORE they come to the Council. For one example how people applying for contracts with the City do not have the required licenses.
  • You can certainly count on my support.  Yours is the most pragmatic voice on the council, so your re-election is critical.
  • Although we disagree on some issues, overall you're a sterling example of a good politician, and a great asset to Richmond. 
  • You have accomplished so much by doing your homework so ably and standing up for the right things in the City of Richmond.  
  • Tom, you are the man for Richmond is a better place for all to live because of your wisdom, vision, intelligence, perseverance and dedication.
  • I support you wholeheartedly!  I appreciate the fact that you always do your homework; are very responsive to residents' concerns and problems and manage to get things accomplished.
  •  It's great to see the long list of deeply appreciative comments for your tireless service, in a position that can be so important and so completely thankless. I can't begin to put into words how grateful I am for your presence on the dais - your intelligence, your perspective, your wisdom, your experience, your integrity - and, perhaps most of all, your consistent ability to see and express humor in the midst of all of it.

Endorsements, as of today, include the following:

Organizations:

• Sierra Club

Elected Officials

• Loni Hancock, Senator 9th District
  • Nancy Skinner, Assemblymember 14th District
  • John Gioia, Contra Costa County Supervisor, 1st District (West County)
  • Tony Thurmond, West Contra Costa Unified  School District Board of Education
  • Charles Ramsey, West Contra Costa Unified  School District Board of Education
  • Pamela Mirabella, Contra Costa County Board of Education Area 1 Trustee.
  • Jeff Ritterman, Richmond City Council
  • Jim Rogers, Richmond City Council
  • Jovanka Beckles, Richmond City Council

Neighborhood Council Presidents
(as individuals – not representing neighborhood councils)

• Ralph C. Vaca (Representative, Hilltop Green Homeowner Association/Neighborhood Council)
  • Stanly Anderson (President, Marina Bay Neighborhood Council)
  • Jim Sexton (President, Panhandle Annex Neighborhood Council)
  • Ron Gibson (Richmore Village/Metropolitan Square Neighborhood Council)
  • John Monks (President, Atchison Village Neighborhood Council)
  • Ed Durbin (President, Brickyard Cove #2 Homeowners Association)
  • Marvin Yudenfreund (Director, Carriage Hills North Homeowners Association/Neighborhood Council)
  • Melita Agbabiala (President, Eastshore Community Neighborhood Council)
  • Jeanette Mahoney (Contact Person, El Sobrante Hills Neighborhood Council)
  • Eleanor Loynd (President, May Valley Neighborhood Council)
  • Jessie Hall (President, Parkview Neighborhood Council)
  • Margaret Jordan (President, Point Richmond Neighborhood Council)
  • Mary Selva (President, Richmond Annex Neighborhood Council)
  • Rock Brown (President, Richmond Heights Neighborhood Council)
  • Alejandro Navarro (President, SW Annex Neighborhood Council)
  • Eugene Fleming (President, Metro Walk Homeowners Association)
  • Joe Bako (President, Country Club Vista Neighborhood Council)

Individuals

• Sylvia Hopkins
  • Sue Chin
  • Jeffrey Dickemann
  • Don Woodrow
  • Mike Parker
  • Juan Reardon
  • Tyler Hester
  • Terri Hinte
  • Patricia Smith
  • Teri Katz
  • Jean-Paul Schreter