[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Final USS Iowa Update: A Tale of Two Cities
July 10, 2012

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Final USS Iowa Update: A Tale of Two Cities

Uh-oh someone put bees in my bonnet on my day off...come to think of it, the SF Giants have the day off too...

I happened to glance at the "dead tree edition" of the Contra Costa Times on the kitchen table this morning, and a story on the SS Red Oak Victory caught my eye.

Actually the story is more about politics than the historic Victory Ship. Though not directly laid out in the story, this looks like a hissy-fit from a Richmond City Councilman named Corky Booze (you can't make this stuff up, Folks!) who was out maneuvered by another Councilman named Butt (see what I mean?) Fellow Councilman Jeff Ritterman, quoted from the Times story:

"Corky just wants to attack (Councilman) Tom Butt."
Butt, who has a reputation for pushing for restoration and preservation of historic landmarks in the city, has been at odds with Booze over several issues, most recently Butt's successful bid to steer port security grant funds to a building near the Red Oak.

My fantasy is the "steer[ed] port security grant funds" cited are going to preserve the Streamline Moderne Style General Warehouse building that's the most architecturally significant structure near the Red Oak Victory...on a historic par with the "Whirley Crane" that stands between the ship and the warehouse.

Description: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CceVOZg2efA/T_I6xKM3vVI/AAAAAAAABCg/VrFzjk2rAwk/s400/Rosie+The+Riveter+NHP+2011+100.JPG

Volunteer cars parked at the SS Red Oak Victory

Every time I've been down to the Rosie The Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park to see the SS Red Oak Victory, I could count the visitors to the ship on one hand...no way can the Non-Profit Organization that cares for her pay the city $10K/month! 

Description: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qRDyUvYhgQM/T_I6Sg5G0mI/AAAAAAAABCU/Uemh9ASlVCs/s400/Rosie+The+Riveter+NHP+2011+094.JPG

Back Side, General Warehouse, Kaiser Shipyard No. 3

There's a photo album of the General Warehouse on my Flickr Page.

Meanwhile in San Pedro:
Bigwigs from the city of Los Angeles will join with Iowa's Governor, Iowa's United States Senator Harkin, Representatives and USS Iowa Veterans at the USS Iowa Museum, to celebrate Independence Day on The 4th of July before the USS Iowa museum opens to the public on Saturday July 7th, 2012.

I'm thinking the City of Richmond could do a little promoting of the Red Oak Victory like LA Mayor Villagairosa gives Iowa, and maybe toot the horn for the Rosie The Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park while they're at it...say on those special holidays that honor the men and women who built those ships that helped win the War and preserved our way of life? How about honoring Memorial Day...4th of July, and  Veteran's Day for starters...then maybe they'll see the wisdom and tip the city's hat to VE Day, VJ Day, D-Day...

OK, enough Politics. Forgive me...here's some little things that you can do to help both ships. 

Richmond residents, please attend the Richmond City Council meeting on July 10th, and let the City Council know that the SS Red Oak Victory is a valued attraction at the Park and should enjoy continued favor from the City as a partner in Richmond's revitalization.

7PM Tuesday July 10, 2012
Council Chambers, City Hall
440 Civic Center Plaza
Richmond, CA

Visit their Websites:
USS Iowa
SS Red Oak Victory

Like Them on Facebook:
USS Iowa
SS Red Oak Victory

While you're at it, please like CorduroyPlanet on Facebook, too! 

Thank you all! Happy Independence Day, and lets be careful out there...Be Fire Safe!
Posted by TruckeeDave at 4:47 AM

RETURN