[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Goodbye Iowa, Hello Huey
May 11, 2012

From Michael Williams, Port of Richmond:

This weekend is the last weekend that the USS Iowa will be open for public viewing which they have been doing for several months now. To enhance the final weekend’s activities, the IOWA will feature a fully restored Vietnam-era Bell helicopter (UH-1, known as a “Huey” slick), arriving and landing on her aft deck. Please refer to the notes below for details on that.

I am not aware that the IOWA is expecting great crowds this weekend, but that does allow me to point out that she will be leaving on Sunday morning the 20th and they are expecting a fair amount of media and press coverage. That could potentially lead to people seeking best viewing advantages causing traffic related issues, but it’s hard to predict what or where.

In any case, if you have questions about the helicopter landing (and subsequent take off), please email Wayne Terry (wayne@hueyvets.com) directly and copy Michael Williams (Michael_Williams@ci.richmond.ca.us). If you have other questions or comments please feel free to email or contact me directly. All insurance and risk management protocols have been approved by the City’s Risk Manager and the Assistant City Attorney.

Thank you both for what your staff members have done to make the IOWA’s stay here rewarding. The crew members really do appreciate the extra effort police and fire personnel have put forth since they’ve been here. We’ve had no negative incidents of any kind that I am aware of.

We have completed all required license and indemnification requirements with the City and Port of Richmond and the LA Battleship Center.  We have supplied certificates of insurance to the same parties and the US Navy.  We have notified the US Coast Guard of our flight and landing and they are planning to have a safety boat in the channel near the fantail of the Iowa for our landing.

Our itinerary/flight plan is fairly simple, we will lift from Hayward Executive Airport at approximately 10:50a and follow the 880/80 corridor north and the follow the 580 west corridor until reaching the vicinity of Rosie the Riveter Park.  We will swing a bit southward to line up for our south-to north pass over the pier on the port side of the Iowa.  Once past the Iowa we will circle and line up for our westerly approach over the warehouse building, parking area of the pier and then touch down on the stern helo pad of the Iowa with our nose into the wind pointing west.  We will secure on the helo pad and provide a static display of our aircraft until approximately 3:00p.  Upon lift off for home we will follow the same route in reverse.  We will be using radio frequency Golden Gate 124.3.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

cid:772221808@09052012-1607

A long time ago, I spent a lot of time flying around Vietnam in Hueys. It always scared me when I saw vines hanging off the skids after we landed.

RETURN