RETURN
  Chris Treadway: Famed Clock Artist Finds Time to Promote Point Richmond
March 25, 2012

Chris Treadway: Famed clock artist finds time to promote Point Richmond

By Chris Treadway
Contra Costa Times

Posted:   03/23/2012 12:11:34 PM PDT
Updated:   03/23/2012 12:11:34 PM PDT

Below, last night’s reception for Steve Hurst at Point Richmond Art Collective.

Art Collective
If Steve Hurst's many friends alone show up for an artist's reception on Saturday in Point Richmond, the event will be a success.
But Hurst, whose eye-catching art clocks and other creations made from recycled and found objects have gained him a large following of fans, is hoping for more.
"I'm hoping the name recognition and promoting through a number of mediums will bring people here," Hurst said this week. "I'm passionate about trying to get some foot traffic in this ghost town. We've got three galleries here and another slated to open, but where are all the people?"
The reception hosted by the Point Richmond Art Collective is scheduled for 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday at the DeWitt Gallery, 121 Park Place.
Hurst is part of a growing community of artists making their home base in the historic neighborhood.
"Whenever artists begin to flourish in an area, it's a clear indication of that area's rise, and that's what's happening here," Hurst said.
Publicizing that community takes some time and effort, as Hurst knows from the years he donated graphics work and other promotional efforts for the annual Point Richmond Music concert series.
"The concert series took awhile to get going, but now it's established," he said. "I want to do the same thing with the arts here. I want people to realize this is not just Point Richmond, this is part of Richmond."
Hurst and Malik Seneferu are also current featured artists at Pikanha's Brazilian Steak House at 25 W. Richmond Ave. in the Point.
Five restaurants in the commercial district are donating food for the free reception at the DeWitt Gallery: the Up & Under Pub and Grill, the Baltic, Hidden City Cafe, El Sol and Kao Sarn Thai Cuisine.
There will also be a jazz pianist and the hospitality that Point Richmond has made a specialty. The evening should give a good idea of what the neighborhood has to offer.
Learn more about the art collective at www.pointrichmondartcollective.org. You can get an idea of Hurst's creations at www.stevenart.com, but they are better seen in person.

RETURN