[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Point Richmond Acoustic Presents Bluegrass Legend Peter Rowan Dec. 9
December 4, 2011

Peter Rowan

Point Richmond Acoustic presents Legendary Musician/Songwriter Peter Rowan and Big Twang Theory Friday, December 9
(Point Richmond - November 9, 2011) Legendary bluegrass performer Peter Rowan brings his Big Twang Theory to Point Richmond Acoustic on Friday, December 9, 2011 at 8 pm. The concert is held at the historic First Methodist Church of Point Richmond, 201 Martina Avenue. Tickets are $20.
Rowan’s bluegrass credentials are top notch. He’s a former member of the Bluegrass Boys led by Bill Monroe, the undisputed father of bluegrass music. But Rowan is also known for spanning many musical genres -  his career includes forays into reggae, folk, Americana and Latino sounds, having played with musicians as diverse as Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and the master of the Mexican accordion, Flaco Jimenez.
His latest band, Peter Rowan’s Big Twang Theory, includes Dobro player Michael Witcher and bassist Paul Knight, both members of the current Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band, plus virtuoso electric guitarist Nina Gerber.
Point Richmond Acoustic concert producer Bruce Kaplan says, “We are incredibly fortunate to have Peter Rowan perform for our audience. As a musician myself, Peter Rowan and Nina Gerber are two of my musical heroes, and here they are in one band! Peter has performed for audiences of thousands of people – but we’re going to present him in one of the most intimate venues in the Bay Area. It’s going to be a fantastic show!
Says Rowan, "I have always wanted a band that was rooted in bluegrass, but could add the twang of Hank Williams, Carl Perkins and Buddy Holly.  They all absorbed Bill Monroe's bluegrass into honky-tonk and rockabilly. I grew up dancing to that music."
"The resonance of acoustic instruments in bluegrass are pure; by adding electric instruments, Big Twang Theory creates a blend of harmonic frequencies that shimmer, like when you play an acoustic guitar at midnight." 
"Lightening Hopkins, Muddy Water, Howlin’ Wolf, I met them all touring as a Bluegrass Boy with Bill Monroe.  To me, the blend has always been there.   Old time, acoustic, an electric shimmer, deep lows and bright highs, like stars, crisp and shining in the deep night sky. …Sometimes Bill Monroe would get this far away look in his eyes and he'd talk about this 'other' music that he heard.  Its what I hear in Big Twang Theory."
Big Twang Theory’s repertoire draws upon Rowan's vast catalogue of original songs and re-imaginings of bluegrass, roots country and blues.
The concert series is sponsored by Point Richmond Music and the First Methodist Church. The church itself is intimate and an acoustic marvel. The 100-year-old church is an octagonal wooden prism that appears to be built by nautical carpenters. It’s like listening to music inside a guitar. Kaplan explains, “Our program is completely non-religious and people of all faiths or no faith are welcome. It’s a friendly no-pressure environment, and even if it’s been a few decades since you have set foot in a church no one is going to bite you. But they might offer you a cookie or cup of coffee. It’s all about the music here!”
Visit www.folkunlimited.com for more information on the concert series and www.peter-rowan.com for more information on Peter Rowan.
###
The December 9 Peter Rowan concert is just 5 days away, and we've had more advance interest in this show than any other we’ve presented to date. We've arranged to sell advanced tickets and we suggest that you secure yours soon, as we are reserving only a limited amount for sales at the door. TherePeterRowan 2 are three ways to get advanced tickets:

• Visit Down Home Music at 10341 San Pablo Avenue, Richmond, CA 94804. (510) 525-2129. Down Home is open Thursday through Sunday. Tickets are $20, check (to Radio Rhythm Records) or cash only. Down Home Music is a fantastic record store and well worth the visit!
  • Send a check for $20 per ticket, plus a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to Radio Rhythm Records, 440 Golden Gate Avenue, Richmond CA 94801.
  • Use the PayPal button below. It will create a $20 per ticket PayPal payment (plus $2 per ticket handling charge) to me at my personal email address. When you check out, be sure to include your mailing address. I will send you tickets back via USPS. You can also find this button at www.folkunlimited.com.

As I have mentioned before, Peter Rowan is a music legend, the missing link between bluegrass, country, TexMex, reggae and folk. To be able to see him with a fantastic band (including my personal guitar hero, Nina Gerber) in the intimate setting of Point Richmond Acoustic has the making for a night you'll never forget.

While I have your attention, please check out our wonderful January headliner, Hans York. on youtube.

Last but not least, I want to thank our co-sponsors, Point Richmond Music and the First Methodist Church for helping make our concert series happen.
Stay warm, and we'll see you next Friday!
Bruce Kaplan

RETURN