[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Richmond Confidential - Greening the Triangle
December 12, 2010

Greening the Triangle

By: Emily Bender | December 11, 2010 – 10:19 am

Click Here for interactive graphics.

The City of Richmond has completed two new draft plans aimed at making bicycling and walking in the city easier—and safer. Between 2004 and 2008, six cyclists were killed and 100 injured in collisions in Richmond, according to data in the plan. From 2003-2008, nine pedestrians were killed and 166 injured.

photo illustration by Emily Bender

The map above shows proposed changes for the Iron Triangle neighborhood, where a high proportion of the accidents happened.  You can read the full proposals at the City of Richmond website. To check out problem areas elsewhere in the city that have been identified by local cyclists and walkers, go to the community created map.

Assistant planner Kieron Slaughter said he has received more than 50 comments about the pedestrian and bike blueprints, many of them positive.

The plan still needs to go through several steps before being finalized, including an environmental impact analysis in January or February of 2011.  If it passes, then it will be up for final approval—and funding— by the City Council in the early spring.

Slaughter said the priority routes will be Barrett, Marina Way, and Cutting and parts of the plan that will require less funding, such as those that involve repainting but no heavy construction.

Dear Pedestrian Plan Advisory Group and Richmond Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee;

No doubt you've been wondering what happened to all that great feedback you gave for the City of Richmond's Pedestrian Plan last Spring!  Well, there's been a lot of writing, coordination with the Bike Plan, administrative review, and now it's time to review and give your input.  I participated in the administrative review and I'm very pleased about how it's looking and the positive direction it helps set for Richmond.  Your input will help it be even better!

The draft is available for public comment by following this link: http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=6504, or if that doesn't work, go to the City's website and put "draft pedestrian plan" in as a search term. That will get you there after a couple of more clicks.

The public comment period is open from now until 12/31/10. If you can , even during the holidays, please take the time to review and send your comments to Kieron Slaughter in the Richmond Planning Department.  His e-mail is above, on the cc line.

Also -- SAVE the DATE -- Thursday, January 20 from 5:30-7pm for the final presentation and community meeting. The consultants will have incorporated all the changes to date, and this is the last opportunity for input before the plan goes to the City Council.

You are welcome to review the plan on your own, but I can also help "orchestrate" feedback, so that everyone doesn't have to read the whole thing.  If you would like me to help "assign" different sections to different people, please let me know and I will figure out how to do that.

Thanks in advance for all your participation so far and for giving this your thoughtful attention.  Please feel free to share far and wide.  Warm regards to all, Nancy

Nancy Baer, MSW, Manager
Injury Prevention & Physical Activity Promotion Projects Contra Costa Health Services
597 Center Ave. Suite 115
Martinez, CA 94553
925-313-6837 phone
925-313-6334 fax

visit us on the web at cchealth.org

RETURN