E-Mail Forum
  Crime and Punishment Police Update - June 2, 2010
June 5, 2010

As we start June, here’s a quick look back at some of the activity RPD personnel were involved in towards the end of May.  Officers dealt with a wide variety of calls and situations, demonstrating skill, patience, and good judgment in handling many challenging circumstances.  As you can see, there’s a lot happening in our community.  We continue to be very pleased with the great working relationship our personnel have with officers from State Parole (CDC).  This relationship is helping us focus our combined resources more effectively on parolees who are involved in a disproportionate amount of serious crime in the city.  As always, if you have questions, feel free to contact me.  I hope everyone has a safe summer ahead.

Chief Chris Magnus

Saturday, May 29, 2010, 6:30 p.m., 600 block of 8th St.--Officers Macrenato and Reid responded to a report of vicious dogs at an address in the 600 block of 8th St.  They were advised that the dogs had attacked and bitten two children.  Additionally, the dogs were reported loose and chasing other citizens.  Officer Macrenato arrived and located the pit-bulldogs on the porch area and in the doorway of the residence.  He attempted to contain them with his vehicle.  When he exited the vehicle, two of the pit-bulldogs attacked him.  He deployed his Taser.  One of the probes struck the lead dog, but it continued to aggressively attempt to sink its canines into the officer.
            Officer Macrenato immediately, and appropriately, escalated up the use of force continuum and chose to use deadly force to stop an attacking animal that had already bitten two children.  He discharged one round at the lead charging animal (later identified as “Silly”).  That round struck the animal in the muzzle.  Both animals turned and ran back into the residence.  The door was closed.  The officers noted that there were three other snarling pit-bulldogs inside of the residence.  Three Animal Services officers arrived and removed the dogs.  Sergeant Barragan responded to conduct administrative inquiries into the levels of force employed by Officer Macrenato.  The attacked children were identified and treated for their injuries.

Saturday, May 29, 2010, 10:45 a.m., 2100 block of Northshore Dr.--Officer Mandell, Officer Gault, and Officer Therriault responded to a residence in the 2100 block of Northshore Dr. on a report of a female that was trying to break into a residence.  The officers were advised that the suspect was the former roommate who had phoned the reporting person and told her that she was going to take numerous items.  The caller was out of town.
            The officers located the 24 year-old suspect on a second floor balcony.  Additionally, the officers found signs of forced entry at the front door.  RFD assisted with their ladder and the suspect was removed from the balcony.  The suspect was arrested and found to have narcotics in her possession.  At RPD, Jailer Odom was conducting a search when the suspect removed an unknown item from under her bra and swallowed it.  The suspect, who claimed she didn’t swallow anything, was transported by AMR (EMS) to the County Hospital.  Officer Simmons assisted and met AMR at the County Hospital.  Spears was later booked into the Martinez Detention Facility for attempted burglary and possession of cocaine.

Friday, May 28, 2010, 8:20 p.m., 23rd St. & Bissell Ave.--Officers Loucas and Wilson conducted a traffic enforcement stop on a vehicle at 23rd St. and Bissell Ave. for running a stop light.  The 31 year-old driver of the vehicle stopped and was contacted.  Officer Wilson determined that the driver had an outstanding No Bail Warrant.  The suspect fled on foot from the vehicle.  He was overcome by the officers who captured him in the 200 block of 22nd St.  He was taken into custody for the No Bail Warrant.  He was also charged with Resisting/Delaying a Police Officer. 

Wednesday, May 26, 2010—Parolee Work—Special Investigation Division detectives tracked a 29 year-old Parolee at Large suspect to an address in Oakland, CA.  He is an active member of a known criminal gang and has prior arrests for Murder.  He was taken into custody without incident and booked in the RPD jail.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 2 p.m., 23rd St. and Hellings Ave.--Northern District Bicycle Patrol  Officers D. Sanchez & D. Campos observed the suspect on 23rd St. loitering in a manner consistent with prostitution activities.  The officers were familiar with this suspect based on prior dealings with her and they conducted a contact.  During their interview with the suspect, she was evasive about her identity, but stated her name was “Misty.”   She was arrested for Loitering with Intent to Commit Prostitution and transported to the City Jail.  This suspect’s prints were taken and sent for confirmation of her identity.  “Misty” was not who she said she was.  She also had 2 felony warrants from Oakland PD and three prior arrests in Richmond for prostitution-related activity.

Monday, May 24, 2010, 12:50 p.m., 1st St. at Nevin Ave.--Officer D. Evans stopped the 27 year-old male suspect for talking on his cell phone while driving.  The suspect yielded at 2nd St. and Chanslor Ave.  As Officer Evans approached the suspect’s car, he sped off, turning N/B on 1st St. from Chanslor Ave.  Officer Evans returned to her car and attempted to catch up to the suspect, but he was too far ahead of her.  While making his escape, the suspect struck an occupied car at 1st St. and Nevin Ave., pinning it against a power pole.  The occupants were trapped in the car and had to be removed with the “Jaws of Life.”  They were seriously injured.  The suspect jumped out of his car and fled on foot.  He ran to the 200 block of Macdonald Ave., and attempted to car-jack a citizen who was sitting in a car.  Officer Evans was able to deploy her Taser and gain control of the suspect.  The suspect was found to have 25 bags of Meth in his pocket and he had left a gun in his car.  CHP documented the crash; Officer Evans wrote the drugs and gun case.  Sgt. D. Jones handled the admin memos regarding the pursuit and use of force.  The suspect was booked on multiple charges. 

Sunday, May 23, 2010, 7:10 p.m., 2300 block of Andrade Ave.--Officer Diaz responded to this  location on the report that an adult male had entered the residence.  The officer knocked at the front door and heard the sound of a window being slid open.  He went to the west side of the residence and observed the 33 year-old suspect with his torso protruding from a side window.  The officer ordered him come out of the residence.  Upon learning that the suspect did not live at the residence, the officer asked him if he had anything illegal on him.  The suspect told him that he was in possession of “meth”.  The suspect was handcuffed and searched.  A zip lock baggie containing a white chunky crystalline substance was located in the suspect’s front pants pocket.  A baggie containing a white chunky crystalline substance was also located in the suspect’s back pocket.  He was taken into custody for being in Possession of a Controlled Substance.

Sunday, May 23, 2010, 7:15 p.m., 300 block S. 6th St.--Recruit Officer Wilson and his training officer, Officer Lucas responded to the area of South 5th St. and Maine Ave. on the report of a group of male adults selling narcotics.  Upon arrival they observed a hand-to-hand drug transaction and contacted three individuals.  Officer Lucas asked them if he could search them.  They consented.  The search of one of the suspects, an 18 year-old male, led to the discovery of an 80 ml bottle that had the prescription label partially ripped off.  This suspect was taken into custody and booked on several charges.  The liquid in the bottle tested positive for Codeine.

Sunday, May 23, 2010, 3:00 p.m., 3200 Macdonald Ave.--Richmond officers responded to the report of an unwanted person sleeping at the back door of the business.  When officers arrived they contacted a male who refused to identify himself, then became belligerent.  As the officers attempted a frisk search, the individual flailed his arms, clenched his fists, then took a boxer’s stance.  Officer Grivetti deployed her Taser and the suspect was taken into custody.  Sergeant Schlemmer conducted then authored the administrative investigation.

Sunday, May 23, 2010, 3:45 p.m., Santa Fe & W. Richmond Ave.--Richmond officers were sent to the report of a found child.  When the officers arrived, they located a ten year-old developmentally disabled child who spoke few words in English and Spanish.  Officers conducted an area check for the child’s caregivers, but none were located.  The child was transported to the Hall of Justice.  Approximately two hours later, his mother and family members responded to the Hall of Justice and took custody of him.  Officer Simmons authored the preliminary investigation.

Saturday, May 22, 2010—all day—area around 5th and Ripley, Iron Triangle Neighborhood—Code Enforcement personnel, assisted by RPD officers, RFD firefighters, Public Works personnel, City Manager’s Office personnel, volunteers, and many others conducted a “One Block at a Time” (OBAT) operation throughout the day on Saturday in this neighborhood.  Some of the highlights included:

  • Code Enforcement personnel conducting pre-event neighborhood knock and talks as well as facilitating the needs of the volunteers and preparing the abatement warrants;
  • Public Works (Streets and Engineering) went “above and beyond” by authorizing the repaving of the most damaged street in the area;
  • Over 30 community volunteers pitched in to help with the clean-up efforts;
  • Veolia performed storm drain and sewer maintenance throughout the area;
  • The Code Enforcement Abatement Crew worked non–stop cutting overgrown vegetation and removing a tremendous amount of trash, junk and debris from the neighborhood, as well as executing several clean-up warrants on vacant houses;
  • Employment & Training workers replaced a dilapidated fence and boarded a vacant and unsecured property;
  • Richmond PD officers and cadets were out in force, ensuring the safety of all, educating the public, and supporting the other staff and volunteers;
  • Richmond Fire and the Youth academy installed over 30 smoke alarms and educated the neighborhood on fire safety;
  • Assembly Member Nancy Skinner toured the neighborhood with Chief Magnus and helped some of the volunteers paint over graffiti;
  • 10 full dumpsters of debris were collected;
  • Richmond Youth Media partnered with the City and documented the entire day on video.  They will be putting together a documentary-style overview of the event from the perspective of volunteers and neighbors in the target area;
  • Although Parks & Recreation were not able to attend Saturday, they did an excellent job of cutting and pruning the trees prior to the event and will be returning to complete the work later in the week;
  • City Manager Bill Lindsay found a loaded gun as he was picking up debris, which was quickly turned over to Police for processing.

OBAT Iron Triangle photo
Saturday, May 22, 2010, 4:30 p.m., 3400 Macdonald Ave.--Richmond officers responded to LaVonya Dejean Middle School on the report of a burglary in progress. The reporting party advised she was watching the suspect use a brick to smash a window to gain access to the interior of the locked school. When officers arrived, they located then detained the suspect. After an in-field show up resulted in a positive identification, the suspect was transported to the Richmond City Jail where he was booked for Commercial Burglary and Vandalism. Officers Simmons and Diaz authored the preliminary investigation.

Saturday, May 22, 2010, 5:00 p.m., S.47th St. & Carlson Blvd.--Richmond officers were on routine patrol in the area when they observed an occupied reported stolen car:  a 1989 Nissan. The officers conducted a “high risk stop,” then detained the 18 year-old driver.  The suspect was arrested and transported to the Richmond City Jail where she was booked. Officers Therriault and Googins authored the recovered vehicle report.

Thursday, May 20, 2010, 8:00 p.m., Seagull Dr.--A wife called 911 as her husband had cut his wrists and was attempting to hang himself.  Officers and two supervisors responded.  The subject fled over a fence and evaded officers.  Within minutes he was located nearby holding two knives and refusing to discard them.  The individual moved toward the officers, who moved back while giving commands.  The individual still did not discard the knives, so a Taser was deployed.  The individual was taken into custody without further incident.  He was petitioned for mental health evaluation and transported by AMR.  Officer Tong and PTO Abetkov completed the investigation.  Sgt. Walle completed the Taser investigation, administrative memorandum and use of force report.  It should be noted that there was tremendous restraint exercised by the officers involved in this event. 

Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 4:00 p.m., 100 block of S. 3rd St.—Special Investigations Division (SID) Gang Unit detectives were monitoring the Mainline gang area this afternoon when they observed two subjects loitering in support of drug sales.  The detectives made contact and were able to develop a possession for sales case:  25 baggies of Marijuana, scale, and packaging materials were seized.  One 19 year-old suspect from El Cerrito was arrested and booked at the City Jail.

SID Parole/Gang personnel located and arrested three outstanding parolees for violation of their parole conditions today.  Two were located via the GPS electronic monitoring system.