[forum/header.htm]
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Mayor Demands Retraction from Chamber Head
February 8, 2010

Mayor McLaughlin has demanded retraction from the head of the Richmond Chamber of Commerce (see below). If the retraction is not forthcoming, the mayor may have grounds for legal action based on libel.

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2010 9:16 PM
To: judy@rcoc.com
Cc: Randy Riddle; 'mgonzalez@gonzalezleigh.com'
Subject: FW: RCOC NEWS - Chamber President Comments on Mayor's Response

Dear Ms. Morgan,
I am writing to demand a retraction of falsehoods about me stated in your recent letter to Chamber members.  See RCOC NEWS email below.
The paragraph below, excerpted from your letter, states clear falsehoods about me.  I would like to remind you that it was not me that stopped work on the Chevron Renewal Project.  It was the Court.   
“The Governor came to Richmond last week to announce tax cuts for green business. He understands that by reducing their costs it allows them to create JOBS. Unlike our Mayor, who looks for ways to increase taxes - the direct result being the loss of jobs and good businesses. By supporting Measure T, the Mayor discouraged new manufactures from coming to Richmond . By her inaction over Chevron's renewal project, over a thousand jobs were eliminated.  Just last week I talked to a small engineering firm who had to lay off seven engineers due to the stoppage. The reverberation of her action - or the lack thereof - continues to cost people and families their lively hood.”
Ms. Morgan, I am very concerned about your clear and deliberate statements about me, directly and falsely accusing me as being responsible for massive job losses.
I would like to caution you to refrain from distributing future potentially libelous communications under the Chamber letterhead about me or any other public servant --  to do so puts the Chamber at serious risk of legal liability and will severely tarnish its credibility and effectiveness in the community. 
In these times of economic strife and job loss, it seems to me that you would have better things to do than spreading false and politically-motivated communications to your membership.  I would think the number-one priority should be enhancing and enriching the local business environment for all the Chamber members -- including the hundreds of small businesses that the Chamber claims to represent and who offer the greatest potential for economic recovery for Richmond.
Sincerely,

Gayle McLaughlin
Mayor, City of Richmond
Gayle McLaughlin
Mayor
City of Richmond
mayor@officeofthemayor.net 
Phone: 510-620-6503
Fax:  510-412-2070

From: Richmond Chamber of Commerce [mailto:sadia@rcoc.ccsend.com] On Behalf Of Richmond Chamber of Commerce
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 3:31 PM
To: Gayle McLaughlin
Subject: RCOC NEWS - Chamber President Comments on Mayor's Response

Richmond Chamber of Commerce logo

Chamber President's Comments

Dear Chamber Members,

I was deeply disappointed by the Mayor McLaughlin's response to Chevron's Refinery Manager, Mike Coyle regarding the business community's role in supporting local community non-profit organizations.  These contributions meant a lot to each and every one of the recipients.  I am encouraging each organization to write a letter to our Mayor and let her know how appreciative they are of any business partnership contribution. I'm asking community groups to let the Mayor know what the donation enabled you to accomplish for this community.

The Governor came to Richmond last week to announce tax cuts for green business. He understands that by reducing their costs it allows them to create JOBS. Unlike our Mayor, who looks for ways to increase taxes - the direct result being the loss of jobs and good businesses. By supporting Measure T, the Mayor discouraged new manufactures from coming to Richmond. By her inaction over Chevron's renewal project, over a thousand jobs were eliminated.  Just last week I talked to a small engineering firm who had to lay off seven engineers due to the stoppage. The reverberation of her action - or the lack thereof - continues to cost people and families their lively hood.

Comments by Mike Coyle, Chevron Richmond Refinery Manager
Response by Richmond Mayor Gayle MacLaughlin

Judy Morgan
President/CEO
Richmond Chamber of Commerce

Richmond Chamber of Commerce
Your business is our business.

Chamber Happenings

Join the Chamber

Forward email

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to gayle_mclaughlin@officeofthemayor.net by shannon@rcoc.com.
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.

Email Marketing by
Letters

Richmond Chamber of Commerce | 3925 Macdonald Avenue | Richmond | CA | 94805

RETURN