-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Helping Adriana Help Herself

I needed some help with a special event last weekend, so I asked Park Guthrie of Urban Tilth to ask some of his students at the Richmond high Urban Agriculture and Food Systems Class if they were interested. Adriana Serrano, a senior at Richmond High quickly contacted me and offered her services along with her friend, Araceli.

What a great job she and her friend Araceli did! What hard and cheerful workers! I would recommend them to anyone.

Later I found out more about Adriana. Adriana moved from Mexico at a young age and grew up with her family in the San Francisco Bay Area.  She always dreamed of going to college and knew she could accomplish her goals with hard work and a strong belief in herself.  With a 4.02 GPA and weeks from graduating from Richmond High School she has been accepted into UC Santa Barbara, which is ranked #12 of all public universities in the US. She will be the first person in her family to attend college.

Unfortunately, Adriana is faced with an obstacle because she is undocumented, like many minors who were brought into the US as children and raised as young Americans.  An organization, “You Deserve to Learn,” is in the process of helping her obtain documentation but due to her existing status, she is unable to obtain the funding or loans which most students have access to. She is a happy teenage girl and an exceptional young woman who raises her hand when she sees people in need and enjoys giving back to her community.  Go to the website, www.youdeservetolearn.com, and watch the short video of Adriana and consider helping to make her dream of going to college a reality.  Everyone deserves to learn.