-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Crime and Punishment in Richmond

A few recent updates concerning RPD activity.  As you can see, a lot of good work is being done.  Please let me know if you’d like more information or if you have any questions.

Chief Magnus

Monday, March 23, 2009. 4:30 p.m., 4500 Macdonald Ave.--Officer Branch responded to Target on report of in progress burglary. Officer Branch arrived on scene and was contacted by security who pointed out a green Nissan Sentra, #3RCA764, that was leaving the area. Officer Branch stopped the vehicle and security identified the driver, Ryan Wager, 11-22-76, as the suspect that was seen taking two MP3 players from the store.  Wager, a parolee, was subsequently arrested for burglary.  Wager also had additional stolen property in his vehicle.  Sergeant Silva arrived on scene to follow up with the investigation.      

Monday, March 23, 2009, 4:40 p.m., 2300 block of Roosevelt Ave.--Officers Sanchez and Evans were working a special enforcement detail when they noticed a 19 year-old female trying to flag down motorists at 23rd Street and Roosevelt Avenue.  This suspect was ultimately arrested for loitering for prostitution.  She has prior arrests for similar offenses and was booked at RPD Jail.

We received the following e-mail regarding the department’s water rescue/recovery efforts following the St. Patrick’s Day evening incident at the Marina:

Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 12:06 PM
To: Chris Magnus
Subject: Emerg. Response at D dock

Dear Chief Magnus,

My name is Jack Schaeffer. I'm President of The Beach HOA, adjacent to D dock, at Marina Bay. I'm writing to you with personal kudos for the dazzling response to the man-overboard emergency last week. Everyone I've spoken with is as impressed as I with the speed and intensity of the response teams.

Just wanted to say, Good Goin' guys!  And thanks for being "on the job".

best regards,
Jack Schaeffer

Monday, March 23, 2009, 2:20 a.m., 900 block of Lincoln Ave.--Officers responded to the Triangle Court area on the report of a possible shooting.  Officers Cantrell and Saephanh arrived on scene and located a shooting victim.  Officer Cantrell immediately relayed information that the victim had sustained a gunshot wound to the right shoulder.  Officer Cantrell stated that the suspect was wearing a black jacket and black beanie.  He further advised he had seen a subject matching that description walking S/B on 10th Street along the west curb line.  Officer Kaiser, travelling west on Roosevelt Ave. approaching Harbour Way, observed a BMA wearing a dark jacket and beanie walking alone E/B on Roosevelt Avenue along the north curb line.  Officer Kaiser requested the individual (later identified as the suspect) to stop.  The suspect quickened his pace and did not respond to the officer.  Sgt. Peixoto arrived and the two were able to detain the suspect.  Sgt. Peixoto later located a handgun on the east side of 1003 Roosevelt Ave.

Due to exigent circumstances (the victim was now bleeding heavily and becoming non ambulatory) the suspect was transported to Triangle Court for an in-field line-up.  The victim positively identified the suspect as the individual who had approached him and shot him moments after demanding money.  The suspect was transported to RPD Jail and booked on multiple charges

Friday, March 20, 2009, 5:30 p.m., the 500 block of 19th Street--Sergeant Curran distributed an intra-departmental bulletin for Derrick Earl Guillebeau indicating there was probable cause to arrest him for an armed robbery that occurred on March 12, 2009 during  which a firearm was used in the commission of the crime.

Officer Mandell observed the suspect in the 500 block of 19th Street and coordinated with officers to take him into custody.  Guillebeau ducked into a nearby field and emerged onto the street a few minutes later where he was arrested.  A search of the field where he was last seen led to the recovery of a pistol grip short barreled shotgun.  Guillebeau was interviewed by Sergeants Hendricsen and Curran once he was brought to the police station.

From the North and East Neighborhood blog:

Thank you RPD!

Posted by: T

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:16 am (PDT)

The vermin at 38th and Cerrito are in jail thanks to Richmond's FINEST!
A posse of police cars and vans, and more than a dozen officers in black
swat uniforms, masks and assault rifles worked their magic and rounded
up the meth dealers. If you pass by 662 38th Street (where Cerrito ends
on the East side) sometime tomorrow, hopefully the city will have it
boarded up. The house is now condemned!

Thank you Richmond PD (that includes K9!) for making our little piece of
the North and East that much better tonight.

T on 38th

Dumping in Richmond has its consequences!

Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:34 AM
To: Bill Lindsay; Randy Riddle; Chris Magnus
Cc: Tim Higares; Leslie Knight
Subject: Community Service for illegal dumpers

We got our first illegal dumping conviction today (Joyce Cook).  I requested (and received) the following sentence for the defendant:

1. 2 years probation;
  2. $250 fine;
  3. $750 restitution to the City; and
  4. 40 hours community service picking up garbage/trash in Richmond.  To be completed within 90 days of today’s date.

I’ve called Tim and we will get together and set this up with Public Works.  She has to do the hours during the regular work week and our schedule, fortunately, Tim has run these Community Service folks before.  One thought was to assign her to the PW abatement crew that cleans up trash dumped on the streets and city property.  The judge wants her in a jumpsuit and gloves picking up garbage!

I’ve got a couple more of these pending in court, so we might be able to at least get some places cleaned up.  We could even use her in a one-block-at-a time cleanup or one of those neighborhood cleanups the City sponsors.  There is LOTS and LOTS of work for her.  We would treat her as a volunteer for liability purposes and get her to sign the regular release form.  I’ll work with Risk Management on that aspect or find out where we can get that waiver for her to sign.

Trisha A. Aljoe

Special Counsel

Richmond City Attorney's Office/

Richmond Police Department