-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Opposition Research Firm Hired to Dig Up Dirt on Butt

I apologize for sending this again, but many people noted that the hyperlink to the demand letter was defective. I believe I have repaired it. Thanks for your forbearance.

Sent: Monday, August 25, 2008 5:15 PM
Subject: TOM BUTT E-FORUM: Opposition Research Firm Hired to Dig Up Dirt on Butt

On behalf of an unknown client, the public policy consulting firm MB Public Affairs, Inc., which provides among other services, “opposition/vulnerability research,” made an extensive public records request to the City of Richmond for records relating to me (click here).

MB Public Affairs, Inc, based in Sacramento, is owned by Mark Bogetich, who is characterized as a “GOP operative” and “opposition researcher,” has provided services for a number of conservative and Republican clients, including Richard Pombo. He also did opposition research for Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Bogetich describes himself as follows:

Two of California's most prominent newspapers, the San Jose Mercury News and the Los Angeles Times, have written feature articles about Bogetich, who is described as "the only game in town" for researchers in California and as "hav[ing] arguably done more than any other political operative in California to shape voters' views of the [2002 gubernatorial election]."

Bogetich also has ten years of experience providing communications strategy, media relations and public affairs consulting services to clients in the insurance and financial industries. He was formerly a partner in CommandFocus LLC, a Sacramento-based communications strategy firm that helped clients develop effective messages and design winning media campaigns.

Although we don’t know who hired Bogetich to research me, a good guess might be a large oil company with a refinery located in Richmond. I am flattered.