-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Mayor Endorses Three for City Council
In her monthly newsletter, Richmond Mayor Gayle McLaughlin endorsed three candidates for City Council. See the text of the mayor’ message below, or Click here for a copy. To subscribe to the mayor’s newsletter, click here.

Dear Friends,

We have an opportunity this November to turn the tide in Richmond politics.

The Richmond City Council will shrink from a 9-member body to a 7-member body. 3 seats are open.

Below are the 3 candidates that I am endorsing and recommending for your support:

-- Tom Butt (the only incumbent that I am endorsing) www.tombutt.com  

-- Jovanka Beckles www.jovankabeckles.org  

-- Jeff Ritterman www.jeffritterman.com

All three of these individuals were strong voices of opposition to the Chevron expansion project that was recently approved by the current Council majority and has caused so much outrage in our community. All three of these individuals know it is essential that we reverse the decades of Richmond’s subservience to big oil!

I am not up for reelection this year. The people of Richmond can continue to count on me, as mayor, to serve as a progressive member of the City Council. Filling the 3 open seats by reelecting Tom Butt and electing Jovanka Beckles and Jeff Ritterman will assure that Richmond truly has a City Council that represents the people’s interests!

Let me also add that Tom, Jovanka and Jeff join me in endorsing the Citizen’s Ballot Initiative, "A Fair Share for Richmond," that will be on the November ballot. If passed, this initiative will bring 16-20 million dollars annually into our City’s coffers from Chevron. Read about this initiative here: www.richmondprogressivealliance.net  

This is an exciting period in Richmond politics! I will continue to keep you updated.

Sincerely,

Gayle McLaughlin

Mayor, City of Richmond