-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
June 14 Volunteer Day at East Brother Lighthouse

An Island in Time - Volunteer at East Brother Lighthouse June 14, 2008

If you want to really make a difference at one of Richmond’s most remote and best known landmarks, consider joining the volunteer group that maintains East Brother Light Station on Saturday, June 14, 2008. Keeping an island in San Francisco Bay shipshape is not for sissies and dilettantes. We need skilled and dedicated people who can roll up their sleeves and work. We particularly need electricians, diesel mechanics, plumbers, boatwrights, small and outboard engine mechanics, carpenters, and painters. 

Maintaining a lighthouse is a never-ending task. The keepers of old were nicknamed "wickies" because of all of the time they spent trimming the wicks of the oil lamp so to keep the light strong and bright. While the old oil lamps are now history, the work of the lighthouse remains constant. There is need for all sorts of volunteers amongst the East Brother Light Station "Wickies" of today. The tasks include everything from cleaning windows to diesel mechanics. Painting, gardening, carpentry, inventorying; whatever your skills or energy level, there's a place for you. Workdays are usually the second Saturday of the month, weather permitting.

The next Wickie Day is June 14, 2008 (08:45 - 16:00). We'll meet at the Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor at 0850, and those who have RSVP'd can ride the boat out to the Island in comfort. (Those who did not RSVP may end up swimming....) We've got no end of general cleaning and maintenance stuff to do before getting to another of Elan & Katie's gourmet lunches! We'll get back by 4:00 that afternoon. Be sure to RSVP by phoning Mikael Blaisdell at 510/865-4515 or email at mikael@mblaisdell.com.   

Boat transportation and an excellent gourmet lunch will be provided for those who RSVP -- which *must* be done by e-mail or phone call. I'll send an e-mail out to the list, but there will be no link this time as we are moving to a different system. Instead, you'll need to either call me or e-mail me to tell me that you're coming and if you are bringing others with you. (Do not RSVP through the web site, either.) Sorry for the confusion.

East Brother Light Station, Inc., the non-profit that maintains East Brother Light Station is also recruiting board members for the 2008-2009 year. If you come out the island to volunteer and have an interest in serving on the board of directors, talk to us.