-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
League of California Cities Environmental Quality Policy Committee

The reason I publish these reports of meetings on the E-FORUM is because California Government Code §53232.3(d), which was added by AB 1234, requires City Council members to “provide brief reports on meetings attended at the expense of the local agency at the next regular meeting of the legislative body.” I figure that if I have to make a report anyway, I might as well share it with the public. These are probably longer than they need to be, but maybe some people are interested in the level of involvement in local government outside the City of Richmond  that I and other City Council members participate in.

The League of California Cities Environmental Quality Policy Committee met in Ontario, CA, on April 2, 2008. The mission of the Environmental Quality Policy Committee is to propose policies for the League of California Cities related to the environment. The League continuously reviews bills introduced in the California legislature related to cities and lobbies on behalf of California cities.

Click here for the entire agenda packet.

The Committee voted in favor of two actions:

1. Oppose the Solar and Clean Energy Act of 2008. Despite its apple pie title, the bill is poorly drafted, actually reduces penalties for non-compliance with existing laws, shifts power from local governments to the California Energy Commission and includes unrealistic objectives. It is also opposed by a number of environmental groups and solar energy industry groups. The Committee voted unanimously to oppose the bill.
  2. The Committee voted on language to recommend to the League of California Cities supporting producer responsibility for product waste, including packaging.