-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Mechanics Bank Hits Home Run With Reading Room Rehabilitation

When Richmond-based Mechanics Bank dug deeply into its conservative banker’s pockets to graciously spend $1.5 million on an adaptive reuse of the 100+-year old Trainmaster/Reading Room, this public-private partnership involving the City of Richmond, Richmond’s oldest bank, a non-profit corporation and hundreds of volunteers was more than a home run; it was the Triple Crown. For details of how the project came about, click here, and see Banking on Preservation, October 30, 2007, and History of the Point Richmond Gateway >>.

I just came from the annual Point Richmond Business Association holiday party hosted by Mechanics Bank at its Point Richmond Branch, which drew a crowd of well over a hundred celebrants. The building and its magnificent plaza have transformed the entry to Point Richmond. This is an example that can be replicated anywhere in Richmond.

Moving just few hundred feet from its previous location at the end of October, Mechanics bank has seen its ATM use double and its new accounts triple in just matter of weeks. This is the payback from investing in historic preservation in Richmond, reaping the reward of that intangible but very real connection people have with the physical remnants of a colorful history that belongs to all of us.

On October 25, the Point Richmond Gateway Foundation, which owns the building, announced its annual grants, paid for by rent for the building paid by Mechanics Bank:

I admit that I have a deep and abiding interest in preserving Richmond’s history – maybe even an obsession. I am always looking for converts, usually with mixed success. Many believe that in a city wracked with violence, crumbling infrastructure and social needs too numerous to mention, historic preservation is simply a frivolity we cannot afford to indulge in.

But I believe it is an effective tool we can use to rise above all of these challenges.  The Point Richmond Gateway Project is making more money for Mechanics Bank while at the same time funneling thousands of dollars into projects for crime prevention, seniors and disabled people, pre-school children (many from the Iron Triangle) and blight abatement – all at no cost to taxpayers.

Historic resources are all over Richmond, and they are huge assets for the neighborhoods in which they are located. They are virtual money machines. Some examples include:

Exploiting our fascinating history and its abundant physical remnants is not the answer to all Richmond’s problems, but it can play a major role. We need to make sure it remains a high public policy priority.