-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Supervisor Gioia encourages parents to give healthy "treats" on Halloween

If you read the E-FORUM Far Worse Than Homicides? October 20, 2007, you know what a problem childhood obesity is in West Contra Costa County. It may be time to ditch the traditional candy at Halloween and move to healthier treats. Supervisor John Gioia has some suggestions, and his email on the subject is copied below. Also, you can simply Google “healthy Halloween treats” and get lots of suggestions, such as http://www.rd.com/content/best-and-worst-halloween-snacks-for-kids.

From Supervisor John Gioia: Help Us Make a Healthy and Safe Halloween!

Halloween is just around the corner, and I want to encourage everyone to think about giving out healthy “treats” to trick-or-treaters this year.  Last Halloween, my wife and I started the practice of giving alternatives to candy such erasers and colorful pencils and stickers.  

Unfortunately, candy and junk foods are a daily routine in many children’s lives.    Due to the proliferation of easily accessible and highly marketed junk foods, our next generation is facing the unprecedented statistic of having a shorter life-span than their parents because to medical conditions caused by obesity.

Food and beverage companies spend almost $12 billion every year on advertising, much of it targeted at children.  

On Halloween, children get an average of 5 to 10 pounds of candy.  If they eat their entire Halloween candy collection, they'll have to spend 50 to 100 hours of physical activity just to burn off all the calories.

Small changes at home can make a difference.

We can start by setting a new example this Halloween by giving out alternatives to candy and sweet treats.

To make your job easier, my office will be giving out alternative Halloween “treats” such as sparkly highlighters, unsharpened pencils, erasers, fun stickers, holographic rulers, non-toxic glitter glue, and colorful hair bands.  

If you want to pick up some of these alternative “treats” to give out on Halloween, please come by my office between 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. on either Tuesday, October 30th or Wednesday, October 31st.  

My office is located at 11780 San Pablo Ave., Suite D, El Cerrito (one block north of the El Cerrito Del Norte BART Station).

I want to thank Staples Office Supply for teaming up with me in this healthy effort.

Any “treats” we haven’t given away will be taken to the RYSE Youth Center at 41st St. and Bissell Avenue in Richmond where we're planning a safe and fun Halloween gathering for neighborhood kids between 5:00 and 8:00 p.m.    Please come with your kids of all ages.  People are encouraged to wear all black and wear wigs and/or face make-up.

Have a Healthy and Safe Halloween!

Supervisor John Gioia
11780 San Pablo Ave. Ste D
El Cerrito, CA 94530
510-374-3231 Phone
510-374-3429 Fax