-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Police Chief Probe Completed - City Council Briefed on Findings

Police chief gets council support after inquiry

·  After receiving report on Richmond officers' complaint of racism, city attorney says department head has full backing By Karl Fischer and John Geluardi

CONTRA COSTA TIMES
Contra Costa Times

Article Launched:07/18/2007 03:01:19 AM PDTA seven-month city probe of racism allegations against Richmond police Chief Chris Magnus and a deputy chief ended this week, prompting strident comments from those few allowed to review the report.

"The council received the report and reviewed the findings," acting City Attorney Louise Renne said. "And based on their review ... the City Council determined that it has full confidence in Chris Magnus as the chief of police and in the job he is doing."

The council formally reserved judgment about Magnus and Deputy Chief Lori Ritter in December, after black members of the police command staff accused the two of racial discrimination, harassment and retaliation.

Their complaint, contained in a March lawsuit filed in Contra Costa Superior Court, includes allegations that Magnus made racist jokes, gave biased performance reviews and snubbed them by promoting Ritter to deputy chief.

Magnus repeatedly denied the allegations. He said Tuesday that he does not know the contents of the report, prepared by former California State Bar President Raymond Marshall.

"I haven't been briefed as to the findings, but I have been told that I enjoy the full confidence of the City Council and the city manager, which is good news," Magnus said.

Attorneys representing the lawsuit's plaintiffs -- Capts. Cleveland Brown, Alec Griffin and Eugene McBride; Lts. Michael Booker, Shawn Pickett, Johan Simon and Arnold Threets; and Sgt. Jim Jenkins -- did not return calls seeking comment Tuesday.

Nor did Marshall, who interviewed many employees, plumbing not only the veracity of the allegations but details of decades-long racial disharmony in the department and how it shapes internal politics, some of those interviewed said.

Magnus joined the department in January 2006; the investigation amounts to a personnel investigation of him and Ritter, Renne said. Public employee privacy laws prohibit the release of its details, though both defendants and plaintiffs would get a short summary, she added.

"Let me put it this way," Renne said. "If any allegations like those that were made were ever found to be true ... I just couldn't ever see the City Council of Richmond allowing the police chief to continue under those circumstances. Frankly, I couldn't see any city council in the country allowing a police chief to continue under those circumstances."

The city legal staff verbally briefed council members about the findings Monday morning and provided a page of "talking points" for use if asked about the case. The council did not receive a full written report.

The "talking points" include statements of support for Magnus and appreciation for Marshall, and that the city is "taking remedial action on confidential personnel issues identified by the investigation."

Records show the plaintiffs filed a motion to compel the report's release for use in their lawsuit. A judge will hear arguments next month.

Ritter retired this month, ending her 25-year career in the department. She will remain on the job until the fall in a temporary capacity while the department develops criteria for promotional testing, Magnus said.

"(Marshall) did a thorough investigation, and the findings have not changed my opinion of the police chief," Councilman John Marquez said. "The chief is doing an excellent job and, if we can ever get our department to work together as a team, then we will all be better off."

Marquez held out hope that court mediation might bring a swift end to the lawsuit.

Meanwhile, Magnus has quietly sought outside help to stitch together fractured working relationships within his department.

Henry Gardner, former Oakland city manager and current director of the Association of Bay Area Governments, works with department employees on communication issues.

Magnus also tapped the Police Executive Research Forum for help in improving job descriptions, internal organization and identifying training needs.

"They're looking at issues that make it difficult for people to work together as a team, such as to what degree race or cronyism or other organizational issues have historically impeded (teamwork)," Magnus said. "We had started the planning process for bringing PERF in back in the fall."

Reach Karl Fischer at 510-262-2728 or kfischer@cctimes.com. Reach John Geluardi at 510-262-2787 or jgeluardi@cctimes.com.