-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Your Chance to Help Out Two of the Viramontes Five

John,

I appreciate your willingness to discuss this.

I think part of the problem. However, is characterizing my advocacy as attacks, tantrums and name calling. All I said is that you are wrong and that your politics are not in the best interest of the City. That’s my job. At the end of the day, the way the City Council votes is what is important, not how it got there. It’s also my job to help people understand what the City Council is up to.

What we have here, in my opinion, is the formation of two parties on the City Council. Not in the traditional sense, of course, as Democrats and Republicans, but in a local sense. We have the Viramontes Party that supports developers, industry, public safety unions and the ill-conceived initiatives of some egotistical and arrogant City staff members, and then we have the McLaughlin Party that supports, for example, community, neighborhoods, public participation and local solutions to global warming.

Now, parties aren’t a bad thing. They help people focus on issues and the way elected officials deal with them. Debate, passion and advocacy, don’t constitute attacks. When Democrats and Republicans go at it about Iraq, immigration reform and abortion, this is political debate, but the results will change the lives forever of many people. When Pelosi said Bush had a “tin ear,” was that elitist? Was she out of line for saying that Bush ignored the facts? Maybe our local issues don’t have the same level of life and death consequences, but they are still important. I feel the same way about the Viramontes Five that Pelosi feels about Bush and the Republicans. I feel like you all have been given a set of compelling facts and evidence on more than one issue but that you simply ignored them in favor of your personal beliefs and perhaps the influence of the special interests that support your political campaigns. Does this rile you up? I wouldn’t be surprised, but I believe there is some truth there that has to be confronted.

I’ve been at this City Council game almost as long as you, and I believe I have learned that where there is smoke there is fire. I know a hidden agenda when I see one. There is something going on here, and I don’t like it.

I’m on the City Council for only one reason, to make Richmond a better place. I will do anything that I can to make that happen, so long as it is legal. The day I pull a punch in favor of decorum is the day I’ll stop doing politics because I will no longer be doing my job.

You and I probably have more similar votes on issues over the years as any two Council members. I hope we can find a way to rekindle that.

Tom

Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 1:42 AM
To: Butt, Tom
Cc: City Council; mariatv@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: TOM BUTT E-FORUM: Your Chance to Help Out Two of the the Viramontes Five

Tom:

I agree with you that we have a serious problem of divisions within the Council. However, it will never get better as long as you continue to publicly attack members simply because they don't agree with you. In my humble opinion, it makes you look like an elitist who thinks you're smarter than the rest of us. To say that decisions made by the majority are against the best interest of the people of Richmond, are truly your opinion. Likewise, your statement about the persons who don't support the direction the "five" of us are trying to take the City. Most persons that say that to you probably enjoy your idiosyncrasies. However, many, many people that don't talk with you, don't agree with your ideas. So, let's talk and see if we can find a "happy medium" without calling each other names. You see, I get just as annoyed with your statements sometimes as you get with my votes, but I don't throw tantrums. Perhaps we can agree to disagree without publicly attacking each other.

John E.

-----Original Message-----
To: Marquez, John
Cc: City Council ; mariatv@pacbell.net
Sent: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 7:12 pm
Subject: RE: TOM BUTT E-FORUM: Your Chance to Help Out Two of the the Viramontes Five

John,

We have a serious problem here. This is the worst and most blatant schism of the City Council since I have been on it. I don’t know what you all are trying to prove, but in my opinion it is against the best interests of the people of Richmond. I have yet to find a single person who supports the direction that the five of you are trying to take this City.

I hope we can find a way out before it sinks the boat and we all go down with it.

Tom

Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 7:27 PM
To: Butt, Tom
Cc: City Council; mariatv@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: TOM BUTT E-FORUM: Your Chance to Help Out Two of the the Viramontes Five

Tom:

Now you are truly showing your blatant cynicism.

John E.

-----Original Message-----
Cc: City Council
Sent: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:03 pm
Subject: TOM BUTT E-FORUM: Your Chance to Help Out Two of the the Viramontes Five

Get a twofer! Show your support for good government and the Viramontes Five by 
investing in the campaigns of 40% of the group for between only $100 and $2,000 
this summer. Details follow:

Or, save your money and tell them what you think about the representation they 
are providing by clicking on "Reply to all" and send your message.

June 2, 2007

To:      The all of my friends, citizens of Richmond and Contra Costa County

Re:      Up coming event for Richmond City Councilman
            Harpreet Sandhu, (see the attached invite)

I would like to invite you to come to a fundraising event for a long time 
friend of mine, Harpreet Sandhu who was appointed to the Richmond City Council 
only a few months ago. When I first met Harpreet some 20 plus years ago I knew 
he had the special combination of humility, intellect, compassion and integrity 
that is missing in so many human beings these days. A person, though kind and 
thoughtful, has demonstrated that he has the toughness of his convictions and 
yet has the ability to work with others in collaboration; ultimately what those 
elected to public office are supposed to do.

I have no illusions that the 2008 Richmond City Council Campaign will be an easy 
one, it will be a big challenge for Harpreet to win, but I believe the citizens 
of the City of Richmond are fair minded, tolerant of those that are different 
than them and want the best persons to represent them; in the end we can only 
hope that he will be judged by his works and not by who and what we think he is.

Thank you for your kind consideration of this request

P.S.      If you would be so kind, I would appreciate it if you could send this 
note and the attached invitation to those on your e-mail list.

THE MANY FRIENDS OF HARPREET SANDHU

INVITES YOU TO HIS FIRST EVENT:

Monday, July 9, 2007
    5:30 -7:30 pm @
 M. A. Hays Co. Inc.
  232 BROADWAY,  
 Richmond, Ca. 94804

RSVP:  236-5823

Contributions:  Per person: $50.00    Friend:  $100.00

Sponsor: $250.00       Host: $500.00

I want to make history: $1,000.00                                                                                                               

Name: __________________________Company/Group:___________________

Address: ____________________________________Number coming:________

Phone:____________

Home Phone: ________________Email:________________________________

I endorse Harpreet Sandhu for Richmond City Council. If yes, please 
sign:______________________________________________

Take sign: ______Volunteer:____________  Enclosed Contribution: 
$_______

Sorry, I can't come but here is my contribution:  $_____________

Mail to:  the Many Friends of Harpreet Sandhu,   P.O. Box 455, Station 
A, Richmond CA.. 94808 Attention, Stacy Owens, Treasurer      ID# 1298457

Donated labor

ALL ABOUT RICHMOND!

Maria T. Viramontes

For Richmond City Council

End Maria's Campaign Debt Event

Monday, June 25, 2007
      5-7 pm @

C H E V Y ' S
3101  Garrity Way
RICHMOND, Hilltop neighborhood

RSVP:  236-5977

Contributions:  Per person: $50.00    Friend $50.00 now & 
$50.00 pledge

Sponsor: $250.00       Host: $500.00   

You love my work  $1,000.00 Plus

Name: __________________________Company/Group:___________________

Address: ____________________________________Number coming:________

Phone:____________

Home Phone: ________________Email:________________________________

Endorse MTV for election if yes, please sign:____________________________

Enclosed Contribution: $_______

Sorry, can't come but here is my contribution:  $_____________

Mail:  Friends of Maria T. Viramontes,   P.O. Box 266, Station A, 
Richmond

CA.. 94808        Attention: Stacy Owens, Treasurer      ID# 

Donated labor
RETURN