-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Going South
November 2, 2005

Tomorrow, we’ll be heading first for the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville where on Friday I will receive the Arkansas Alumni Association 2005 Community Service Award. My friends in the San Francisco Chapter of the Arkansas Alumni Association were kind enough to put me up for this recognition which, according to the Alumni Association website, “recognizes unselfish and extensive service by alumni to their community and to humankind.” I get little respect in Richmond, but they seem to appreciate me back home. Previously, these same conspirators arranged for an Arkansas State Senate Citation for a “distinguished career filled with notable accomplishments” and recognition as an Arkansas Traveler. Those Arkansans look out for each other. One of the perks is that we get to sit in the Chancellor’s Box to watch the Razorbacks play South Carolina. Unfortunately, the Hogs have had a dismal season so far, going 2-5, 0-4 in the SEC with last week's 23-20 loss at No 4 Georgia. Maybe their luck will change.

Sunday, I head for a week in New Orleans as a part of a volunteer damage assessment team working under the National Trust for Historic Preservation. I will be collaborating with a small group of architects and historic preservation experts from around the country providing assessments and advice to owners of flood damaged historic buildings. There is lots of mold and no hot water yet; otherwise it should be an interesting experience. Once again, I get little appreciation in Richmond for my interest in historic preservation and my efforts to save pieces of Richmond’s rich historical heritage (Did you see the Point Richmond Gateway inquisition at last night’s City Council meeting?), but they seem to think I can contribute some much needed expertise in New Orleans.

Alumni Association Awards

The Arkansas Alumni Association shares the University's vision in which the University of Arkansas is a nationally competitive, student-centered research university serving Arkansas and the world. During an annual awards ceremony, the Association recognizes those individuals that continue to bring national and local prominence to the University and the Arkansas Alumni Association through their research, exemplary public and community service, and valued leadership.

The Association will honor ten award recipients at the 61st Annual Alumni Awards Banquet Nov. 4, 2005, at the Janelle Y. Hembree Alumni House on the University of Arkansas campus.

Community Service Award

The Community Service Award recognizes unselfish and extensive service by alumni to their community and to humankind.

Thomas K. Butt (FAIA BA '68, BARCH '68)

Thomas K. Butt (FAIA BA '68, BARCH '68)
Founder and president of Architect Interactive Resources
Richmond, Calif

RETURN