-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Status of Police Chief Selection
September 27, 2005

The following update on police chief recruitment and selection was provided by Richmond City Manager Bill Lindsay:

1.  There are currently 6 candidates who will be interviewed.  The names of the candidates are confidential.

2.  The visit by Police Chief candidates will be over a two day period from October 19 to October 20.

3.  During the first day, the candidates will receive a formal briefing from the City management staff regarding City operations, with an extended orientation to be provided by Chief Hudson and key members of his staff.  Each candidate will also be given a tour of the City.

4.  During the second day, candidates will meet with 3 separate interview panels, with each panel consisting of 8 - 10 people representing a cross section of community perspectives.  The panels will include several City staff members, several community members with varying backgrounds, members of the faith based community, members of local law enforcement, representatives from law enforcement outside the community, and members of the Police Commission.  Each interview panel will be given prepared questions to ask each candidate, and be provided with a structured format for providing input as to each candidate's relative strengths and weaknesses.

5.  Leslie Knight and Bill Lindsay will meet separately with each candidate.

6.  Leslie Knight and Bill Lindsay will meet with all of the community panels to hear their assessment of strengths and weaknesses.

Lindsay notes, “The above process is somewhat rigorous, but, I believe, provides information to the candidates regarding the City of Richmond and elicits information from them regarding their qualifications.  I hope that soon thereafter I will be able to make a fully informed selection of Richmond's next Police Chief.”

RETURN