-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  "They Could Ask Themselves, What am I Giving Back to my Community?"
September 2, 2005

“If people are lucky enough to own property in Historic Point Richmond, shouldn’t they be willing to step up to the plate to make it a better place?”

Judy Morgan, President, Richmond Chamber of Commerce

The Richmond Chamber of Commerce September Newsletter, Chamber News, included an editorial, An Opportunity Missed,” by Chamber President Judy Morgan lamenting the failure of so many Point Richmond property owners to support the NICE proposal. Click on “Newsletter: to see the entire piece on page 2, a portion of which is shown below.

“We at the Chamber are disappointed that the BID/NICE district proposed for Point Richmond failed. We were in support! If people are lucky enough to own property in Historic Point Richmond, shouldn’t they be willing to step up to the plate to make it a better place? For example, they could be more involved in saving the Plunge and supporting the Masquers and the Point Richmond History Association. They could ask themselves, “What am I giving back to my community?” Our well-meaning folks in the Point who were in opposition should stop and reconsider. Did they really understand the benefits? Did they know that they could be in control of how the funds are spent? There just needs to be some more collaboration and discussion and we can put this issue back on the table.”

“The Chamber sees these districts as the only way for needed improvements in our business areas to happen. Cities can no longer afford to give the services that are needed to make a thriving business district. Many other cities have seen this need and have successfully established several such districts. Berkeley is a fine example. The following description, for those of you who are new to this issue, comes from the Berkeley Chamber. Berkeley has more than five districts established in their city.”

RETURN