|How to Get Rid of Your Trash
June 2, 2005
Don’t forget your 2 free trash pickups First pickup period ends this month
Although the service description on the back of their monthly invoices makes no mention of it, Richmond Sanitary makes 2 free trash pickups a year, one in the 1st 6 months and the second in the last half of the year. Call (510) 262-1610 during the preceding week to arrange a pickup on your regular garbage day.
• Trash must be in bags. Do not place in your garbage cans or containers that you want to keep.
• Trash is limited to fifteen 32-gallon bags (2 cubic yards). Trash exceeding 15 bags will bring an extra charge.
• Bag jagged or sharp objects separately, labeled Handle With Care.
• Do not combine your trash with your neighbor’s trash.
• Do not leave large or bulky items.
• Place bags as close to the curb or parking strip as possible, away from your regular cans, and be sure they are clear of parked vehicles.
• Put your bags out the night before or before 6 am on your pickup day.
Do not leave for pickup:
Liquids of any type, boxed or bundled debris, cement, rocks, dirt, mattresses, box springs, rugs, carpets, furniture, tree stumps, fencing, tied boards, toilets, bathtubs, sinks, water heaters, household appliances, metal parts, car parts, tires, and hazardous waste. Hazardous waste materials include used motor oil, solvents, paint cans, car batteries, empty gas tanks, pesticide containers, and asbestos.
If you have scheduled a cleanup day and the material is not out when the drivers arrive, you will be subject to a return trip charge. Call (510) 262-1610 for more information.
Richmond Sanitary Service is the only entity legally authorized to pick up waste in Richmond. For special pickup of bulky items, call (510) 262-1610. Bulky item service costs a minimum of $38.75 plus an additional cost for each item. For example, a mattress costs $12.50.
For option involving hazardous waste, call 888/412-9277 or go to the website http://www.recyclemore.org. Household hazardous waste can be dropped off free daily 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM at the West County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility.