-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  KPIX Richmond Investigation to Air Tonight
May 22, 2005

The long anticipated investigative expose report on Richmond city government by KPIX Channel 5 is being advertised today to be aired at 11:00 PM tonight. KPIX has been researching this piece since late 2004. For many weeks, a team of KPIX investigators was combing through records, including credit card bills of City staff, at City Hall pursuant to a Public Records Act request. The time it has taken for this investigation to ripen is puzzling, and much, if not all, of it is expected to be old news to those who have been following Richmond events closely. Presumably, the report will include information on the causes of the financial crisis of 2004 and such things as credit card abuse and other out of control spending practices, much of which was previously exposed by Phil Batchelor in September 2004 and in subsequent reports (see  http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/announcements/Richmond.Reportpdf.pdf)  I was interviewed by Channel 5 Investigative Reporter Anna Werner several months ago and provided my usual mix of cynicism and optimism about the City of Richmond. I suspect only the former will survive editing, but I hope not.

RETURN