-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Responses to Year End Review
January 17, 2005

The following responses were received regarding the 2004 Year-End Review, E-FORUM, December 31, 2004. They represent a different point of view about some of the critiques I previously received about City employees. Neither the original nor subsequent remarks are mine. In this case they all came from City employees.

“I was shocked and angered by the remarks I read in your newsletter about Stan Fleury.  I have worked with Mr. Fleury for at least seven years.  He has always been competent, professional and virtually the only person in IT available to deal with emergency computer problems at the library.  When he was transferred to the Police Department, I was very disappointed because I felt the staff at the library was losing a true friend and a valuable coworker.”

“I feel that remarks that are unsubstantiated and unfairly critical of city workers is slander and libel.  It hurts all city employees.  Anyone could say anything about anyone working for the city and it would be printed in your newsletter.  You have proven yourself callous and insensitive to the personal damage you do to city employees.”

“I wish to restate my support for Stan Fleury.  He is one of the most competent and responsive people currently working for the city and to criticize him so unfairly and harshly is truly appalling.”

“I read what was said about Stan Fleury, and it was unprofessional of his co-worker to write something so slanderous and so hateful.  I can only assume jealousy.  I know from personal experience that our department would not be running properly if it wasn't for Stan Fleury.  Our department appreciates everything he has done for us, including coming in on a Saturday to fix our computers.  He has always been kind and accommodating, which is more than I can say for the others in the IT department.” 

“The fact that you posted such comments, leads me to believe that you don't have much respect for people.  If tabloid is what you care about, you should go to Hollywood.  I'm sure there is a law suit waiting for you.”

“Some of the naming of names of City employees involved discussion of personnel issue which are confidential.  At least inappropriate and maybe illegal.”

“It is the job of the City Council to set policy.  The only problem I have with that concept is that we have MANY council members who are too inept to set policy.  Would not know a decent policy if it bit them in the ass.” 

“It is scary to think that because these people are still on the council (yourself not included) things will not get better.  I find you to be one of the more knowledgeable and trustworthy of the lot.  You do, however, need to think before shooting from the hip, as you often do.”

RETURN