-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Negative Campaigning
October 25, 2004

Several people have asked me how I feel about being mentioned, pictured and/or endorsed in a mailing piece that is negative in content or could be described as a “hit piece.”

I do not condone negative campaigning or hit pieces. I have been the victim of dozens of the worst possible negative campaign pieces and hit pieces in the past, and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

My name and face has appeared on mailers authored by the “Keep Richmond Safe Committee.” I don’t even know who the Keep Richmond Safe Committee is. I was unaware of any of the mailers sent by the Keep Richmond Safe Committee prior to receiving them in my own mailbox. I had no involvement in their production. I didn’t even provide a picture. I want to make it clear that I do not appreciate being included in hit pieces.

In one piece aimed at Andres Soto, I was listed as one of three City Council members who voted against the $150,000 settlement paid to Soto and others. I cannot comment on the motives of the other two council members, but I voted against it because the City Attorney refused, as a part of the settlement authorization, to take legal action against the individual actually responsible for the specific negligent behavior that cost the City $150,000. This is another example of the City failing to hold those responsible also accountable. In this case, the taxpayers footed the $150,000 bill, and the perpetrator just moved on. That’s wrong.

RETURN